Chapter 38: 5.21.1 Two Minutes to Midnight

Singer Salvage Yard, Sioux Falls, South Dakota

    Dean hadn't gotten much sleep that night. He was kept awake by soft whimpers escaping Cassandra's lips and her constant flinching. She woke up once, almost yelling as she shot up, but Dean was there to comfort her before she could break down. He held her in his arms and played with her hair while she slowly fell back to sleep. He could tell she was fighting it. Her eyelids would droop but she'd quickly open them again, too afraid to let the nightmares take over again. Finally Dean had assured her that he'd wake her up if she had another nightmare. She went to sleep after that.

    So the next morning when Dean trudged down the stairs, Cassandra still tangled in the blankets on his bed, he looked worse than he had the day before. Sam arched an eyebrow at his older brother as he handed him a cup of coffee.

    "Did you get any sleep?" Sam asked. Dean shook his head and took a sip. "Why don't Bobby and I take care of her today and you get sleep? I really don't think she'd mind."

    Dean opened his mouth to argue when Bobby wheeled in, cutting the Hunter off.  "Dean, you need sleep. It's been two weeks since you've gotten more than two hours. Go back to bed. Sam and I got her. She'll be fine," Bobby told him. Dean glanced between the two warily before sighing, reluctantly giving in. He handed the coffee back to Sam. "Sam can bring her down here and she can sleep on the couch if she's not yet awake."

    Understanding Bobby's orders, both Winchester brothers went back up to the room Dean always stayed in and nudged the door open. Sam rounded the bed and pulled the blankets back, carefully scooping the blonde up in his arms. She didn't wake up but she shifted slightly.

    "Get some sleep, Dean," Sam whispered. Dean nodded and crawled under the warm covers where Cassandra had just been while Sam left the room, managing to turn the light off in the process.

    Sam quickly made his way down the stairs, tucking the blonde's legs closer to him when he rounded the corner. Bobby looked up upon his entry, frowning when he saw just how bruised and beaten Cassandra truly was. Now that all of the blood was gone he could see it clearly. But that's what was only on her face, neck, and hands.

    "Jesus. Michael really did a number on her," Bobby muttered as Sam laid her down across the couch. The younger Winchester nodded and sighed.

    "Yeah. But the way Dean looked at her when I picked her up, I have a feeling there's a lot more we can't see," Sam replied. Bobby nodded. "Did Jody tell you anything besides that she was dead?"

    The Hunter sighed and shook his head. "No, not really. She probably thought that Death was raising more zombies so she called me. I'm just glad she didn't take her to a hospital. I don't know how we'd lie ourselves out of that one," Bobby explained. Sam nodded and grabbed his laptop before walking over to the couch, taking the empty spot next to the blonde's legs. It was only a few minutes of his fingers dancing across the keyboard before he pulled up the report.

    "Woah."

    Bobby looked up.

    "Well, there are pictures of her when they first found her. Uh, a woman was going for a run when she saw her on the riverbank. Called the cops but left shortly after that. Look at this," Sam said. He turned the laptop around so that Bobby could see it. His eyebrows rose at the picture.

    Cassandra had been covered in more blood than dirt so Sam figured that one of the angels had just planted her there, probably for he or Dean to find. Her skin was a sickly pale. A purple handmark wrapped around her throat and it was clear that Michael had choked her before throwing her around. A few nails were broken, almost as if she were fighting to get away, and when Sam scrolled down he found a photo they had taken of her torso. MONSTER was still clear across her skin but it was mostly covered by black bruises all over.