Chapter 34: "You can't leave me here forever."

Singer Salvage Yard, Sioux Falls, South Dakota

The whole ride back to Bobby's had been completely silent save for the music that Dean blasted from Baby's radio so that no one attempted conversation. Everybody was pissed with one another. Sam was mad at Dean for throwing out the amulet; Dean was mad at Cassandra for lying to both him and Sam for the past month; Cassandra was mad at Sam and Dean for not letting her explain herself; and Sam was mad at both Cassandra and Dean simply because they couldn't speak without fighting. He sensed the end of their relationship was near and he dreaded the fight that would come with it.

Not liking the song on the radio, Dean flipped it to another station. Warrant's Cherry Pie blasted out from the speakers and filled the car. Cassandra slowly looked up and met Dean's gaze in the rearview mirror. He changed it to a country station. Kelly Clarkson's Because of You took the place of Classic Rock. Dean changed it again, only to stop on Air Supply's All Out of Love. Dean turned off the radio.

"Silence sounds good," he grumbled. Sam turned and arched a single eyebrow at his brother with an amused smile despite being mad at him. Dean glanced at him out of the corner of his eye before returning his focus on the road.

Cassandra, not able to do anything without music, simply put in her earbuds and connected them to her iPhone before scrolling through her playlist. Her finger hovered over her go-to song: Night Moves by Bob Seger. That was hers and Dean's song. She rolled her lower lip between her teeth in thought before scrolling down and settling on AC/DC's Thunderstruck. She laid down in the seat and let her phone rest on her stomach, her blue eyes fluttering closed as she let out a soft sigh. The next three hours were completely silent to the Winchester brothers.

Bobby was the first to say anything an hour into their arrival at Singer Salvage Yard. Dean was in the kitchen with Bobby making lunch, Sam was in the library reading, and Cassandra was in the hallway upstairs trying to make contact with Castiel. She had no such luck.

"Cassandra!" Bobby's voice drifted throughout the house before making its way to Cassandra's ears. Her eyes snapped open and she sat up. "Come here! We need your help with something!" Pushing herself off of the ground, the blonde raced down the stairs. Dean continued to ignore her but Sam and Bobby looked up upon her entry.

"Hey, I need your help with something in the basement. Dean's still not talking to anyone," Sam said. Cassandra nodded and licked her lips, following Sam down to the basement.

"So what do you need my help with?" Cassandra questioned, rubbing her hands together to generate warmth before tucking them under her arms. Sam never replied. Instead he walked around her and pulled a syringe from his pocket, stabbing it into her neck. Cassandra's eyes widened and she gasped, her hand reaching up to grab her neck. She could feel a warm liquid rush through her veins and she started to see spots. Her legs were the first to give out and Sam caught her before she could fall. "Wha—" She gasped, struggling to stay awake. "What are you doing?" the Nephilim mumbled, fighting against her eyelids that felt too heavy to keep open.

"We love you, Cassandra, but we can't have you working with Michael," Sam said. She thought she heard him say something else but she couldn't quite understand it because a moment later she felt the substance in the syringe take over. Darkness engulfed her vision and she fell limp in Sam's arms.

Dean descended down the stairs at that moment, arching a single eyebrow as his brother lifted the blonde into his arms bridal style. "It actually worked?" Dean asked in shock. Sam shrugged.

"She's still part human. I guess everything works on her."

Dean followed his brother into the panic room, watching as he gently set the woman down on the bed. Sam grabbed the chains that rested above the elevated mattress and clasped one on each wrist and locked them. He tugged on the iron to test it before stepping back.