Chapter 41: 5.22.2 Swan Song

Cassandra, Bobby, and Dean all stood with their eyes glued to the TV screens on the other side of a shop's window while Castiel paced the length of the sidewalk.

"Reports are flooding in – a seven-point-six earthquake in Portland, eight-point-one in Boston, more in Hong Kong, Berlin, and Tehran. The U.S.G.S. has no explanation but says to expect a six-figure death toll," the voice from the TVs said as the images panned over cities left aflame, authorities scrambling to find survivors.

"It's starting," Castiel said.

"Yeah, you think, genius?" Dean snapped.

"You don't have to be mean," the angel replied, stopping. Cassandra looked up from the texts flooding her phone to see Dean staring at Castiel for guidance. She tucked her phone in her pocket and ignored all texts. They had bigger problems than people checking in on her.

"So what do we do now?" Dean asked.

Castiel nodded his head to the side, staring off into the distance at nothing in particular. "I suggest we imbibe copious quantities of alcohol... Just wait for the inevitable blast wave," he suggested. Cassandra scoffed and rolled her eyes, shaking her head. Dean scowled.

"Yeah, swell. Thank you, Bukowski. I-I mean, how do we stop it?"

"We don't," Cassandra chimed in. Dean turned to look at the Nephilim with wide green eyes. "Lucifer will meet Michael on the chosen field, and the battle of Armageddon begins. We're royally fucked."

"Okay, well, where's this chosen field?"

"I don't know," the two celestial beings chorused. Dean nodded, licking his lips.

"Well, there's got to be something that we can do."

Castiel turned back to the Hunter, tilting his head slightly and staring back at him with sad blue eyes. "I'm sorry, Dean. This is over."

"You listen to me, you junkless sissy – we are not giving up!" Dean roared. He turned to face Bobby who finally tore his eyes away from the screens and joined them, his gaze locked on the sidewalk. It was hopeless. "Bobby? Bobby?" The older Hunter slowly looked up, shaking his head.

"There was never much hope to begin with," Bobby admitted with tear-filled eyes, shaking his head. "I don't know what to do."

Cassandra looked up as she heard a faint whisper, glancing around with furrowed eyebrows. No one paid her any mind, too distracted by the TVs, sirens blaring in the distance, and their loss of hope.

"I told you that I was the only way."

"Come at me, you son of a bitch!" she screamed, holding her arms out as she stared at the sky. Bobby, Dean, and Cas all turned to her in confusion. Bystanders watched, automatically jumping to the conclusion that she was schizophrenic or something of the sort. "You want to try taking on the both of us? Give it your best shot!"

"Stull Cemetery. Lawrence, Kansas."

The voice died out and Cassandra's chest heaved in anger before she turned back to face Dean. A single tear slipped down his cheek when he realized that it had been Michael she was talking to. Cassandra walked forward and cupped his cheeks in her hands, pulling her boyfriend in for a kiss. Dean immediately kissed back before pulling away.

"Don't go," Cassandra whispered. "I got this. I'll fix this."

Dean opened his mouth to reply but before he could get out a single syllable she had already disappeared into thin air. Dean's face fell. She was going to get herself killed.

Cassandra landed in a patch of dead grass, tangled weeds consuming old graves off to her left. She glanced around, wrinkling her nose. Why would they choose this place to have their big battle? Why Stull Cemetery?