Chapter 40: 5.22.1 Swan Song

Happy Valentine's Day! I'm here to rip your heart out of your chest.

(And on a side note my day was horrible. The high school in Florida that was shot up today was my best friend's school and while she's physically okay, they shot into her classroom and she watched 4 kids get shot. 13+ kids have been confirmed dead and at least 20 are injured. What even is this world anymore?)

Singer Salvage Yard, Sioux Falls, South Dakota

May 21, 2010

The entire ride back to South Dakota had been silent. Neither Dean nor Cassandra uttered a word in fear of a fight breaking out. They were trying to avoid the inevitable.

The moment Cassandra got out of the Impala Dean started in on her. He slammed the door shut, an action he never did in fear of hurting his Baby, and turned to look at her. His green eyes hardened in a glare and his chest heaved in anger. Cassandra stared back at him calmly and reached across the hood to hand him the ring. Dean snatched it from her but never moved.

"You—" Dean stopped himself and closed his eyes, turning his head to the side slightly and sucking in a deep breath to calm himself. "You just killed yourself," he whispered.

"I know," Cassandra replied softly. She didn't seem at all affected by it. "I only have days left, Dean, and I'd rather not spend it fighting with you."

"You promised me."

"I told you, Dean, that I never planned on making it out of this by your side." She rounded the Impala and forced him to turn, reaching up and cupping his cheek. The Hunter never opened his eyes. "I texted Sam on the way back and we talked it over. Dean, I need you to make me a promise." He stayed silent but nodded. "When Sam and I are gone, I want you to haul ass to Lisa and Ben Braeden and pray to God that they are stupid enough to take you in." Dean's eyes fluttered open and he stared at her in disbelief. "Sam told me how you stopped by to see her before we went to Van Nuys."

"Cassy, it's not—"

"I don't care. You still feel something for her. Good. I want that."

"What?"

"Dean, I'm going to be dead by the end of this and you need someone there for you. Lisa seems nice from what Sam's told me and Ben seems like a good kid. I need you to promise me that you will go and start a life with her," Cassandra told him, her voice soft. It never wavered but when Dean looked into her eyes he could tell how hard it was for her to keep it together. He knew she was trying to be strong for him. "Promise me."

"We were supposed to start a normal life, Cassy. We were supposed to get out," Dean told her, his voice cracking as his eyes welled with tears. A small smile tugged at her lips and she nodded.

"I know."

"I can't have that with somebody else."

"Yes, you can, Dean. We haven't even known each other for a year. To you, I'm just some other girl you tried to have a relationship with. There was another girl according to the books. You loved her. Cassie, I think." Cassandra laughed. "You must have a thing for Cassandras." Dean managed a chuckle and shook his head.

"I love you."

"And my point is that you can love Lisa like I know you do. Deep down you still have feelings for her. Dean, she and Ben can give you the family you've always wanted. You can raise him as your own and you can marry her. You can have what I could never give you."

Dean leaned forward and rested his forehead on hers as a single tear slipped down his cheek. Cassandra's eyes fluttered closed and she felt herself smile, pushing back the tears that threatened to escape. Dean's hand snaked around to her neck and he locked lips with her, pulling her closer. Cassandra obliged and kissed the Hunter back, their lips moving in perfect sync. It was something they wouldn't get to do again after the next few days.