Chapter 26: 5.10.2 Abandon All Hope

Carthage, Missouri

The moment the Impala rolled past the town lines Cassandra could see them. Reapers. Hundreds of them and they were all lined up in the middle of the street going as far as the eye could see. She kept her mouth shut, instead focusing on the fact that Sam and Dean both held their phones out the windows as the Impala cruised down the street.

"You getting a signal?" Sam asked. Dean shook his head, flipping his phone closed before pulling it back into the car.

"No, nothing. Nice and spooky," he replied. Cassandra gulped, eyeing the streets warily. It was too deserted for her liking. Dean waved for the pickup truck behind them to stop next to the Impala as he pulled over. Ellen pressed her foot on the break. Jo rode shotgun with Castiel in the backseat.

"Place seem a little empty to you?" Ellen said, briefly glancing at the blonde in Dean's backseat. Much to Cassandra's dismay, Bobby had told Ellen and Ellen only about the note. Cassandra would rather Bobby be the only one to know but things never seemed to work out in her favor. The look Ellen gave Cassandra proved it.

"We're gonna go check out the PD. You guys stay here, see if you can find anybody," Dean ordered. Ellen nodded.

"Okay."

The Impala pulled out of its spot against the curb, the pickup truck taking its place. Dean glanced at Cassandra through the rearview mirror. He tapped his fingers on the steering wheel uneasily as he took a left. "You okay back there, Princess?" Cassandra looked up, meeting his gaze in the mirror.

"Nervous," she admitted, staring down at the Colt in her lap. Dean chuckled and nodded.

"You got this, Cassy. If we manage to pull this one out of our asses then I promise that we can go back to Bobby's and do whatever the hell you want, no questions asked. Sound good?" Cassandra managed a nod as she ran her thumb over the stock of the Colt.

"Yeah. Sounds perfect," she choked out, fighting back the tears. Sam turned in his seat and frowned at the girl, furrowing his eyebrows when she cleared her throat and sucked in a sharp breath. Suddenly it was as if nothing had ever happened. A poker face replaced the nervous expression that she showed the whole way to Carthage. Sam eyed her warily before his gaze landed on the police station that Dean had just parked in front of. Something was off about her

~*~

Ellen's pickup truck pulled up to the trio on the sidewalk, coming to a halt. "Station's empty," Dean said. Jo leaned forward from the passenger seat to see and hear better.

"So's everything else," she replied.

"Have you seen Cas?" Ellen added. Sam furrowed his eyebrows at the woman.

"What? He was with you."

"Nope. He went after the reapers," Ellen said simply. Dean's eyebrows rose in shock.

"Reapers?" Dean asked.

"He saw reapers? Where?" Sam questioned.

"Well, kind of everywhere," Cassandra said quietly. All four heads turned to her. "Well, I wasn't walking funny for no reason! I was avoiding running into them." Dean stared at her in disbelief and glanced around before leaning towards the blonde.

"You mean you can see them?" he asked. Cassandra nodded as if it were obvious. "And you didn't think to mention this before?"

"I didn't think it mattered! They're just standing there staring at absolutely nothing! They're almost like statues," the Nephilim hissed. Dean sighed and ran a hand through his hair, glancing over to Ellen and Jo before looking back to Cassandra.