Ch16: Battle on the Bridge! (Part 2)

NARUTO

Third POV///

Naruto and Sasuke froze and stared at Akimi's limp form. Her eyes were shut closed and her body felt cold. They couldn't believe it... They don't want to believe it. Did she really...die? Tears were already trailing down the two's face and the pain in their chest was worsening every second the more they stared at Akimi's lifeless face.

Haku collapsed on his knees, arms falling limply on his sides. His eyes wide behind his mask, grief and guilt flashed across them. He didn't want to kill her... He didn't want to lose the same girl he met and lost years ago..... He didn't want to hurt the girl he called his precious imouto, the girl who gave him and Zabuza a chance of happiness. Was it his fault?

x

"I-ittai! That hurts, Haku!" Akimi whimpered, her tears started gathering in her big eyes. Haku sighed but a small smile of fondness twitched up on his lips. He would never say it, but he enjoyed every moment he spent with Akimi. He didn't know why, but she was just a ray of sunshine in his life, even Zabuza. Though the latter probably won't admit it.

Zabuza, Haku, and Akimi were running away from a group of 'bad-ninja's' as to how Akimi called them. While running away, one of them injured Akimi in the leg by throwing a kunai. The silverette yelped and roughly landed on the ground. She was almost taken by them, if it was not for an angry Zabuza. He told Haku to take Akimi somewhere safe and treat her wound, reassuring Haku that he'll be okay and won't take too long. So here they are now. Akimi is sitting on a rock, a beautiful lake beside her, and Haku sitting in front of her, treating her injury.

"Be patient, Akimi-chan. You don't want it to be infected now, do you?" Haku softly patted her hair, making her pout and cross her arms with a 'hmph!'. That's adorable, he thought. And just like Zabuza, Haku also likes patting the Chiairi's hair. It's really soft.

"Fine! Only because you're doing it, nii-san..." She muttered lowly, but Haku clearly heard. Well, almost heard it, luckily, he was right in front of the girl. He was slightly shocked at the suffix, but wanted to know why she called him that.

"Hmm?" Haku stared at the six-year-old girl with a look that says 'Can-you-repeat-that?'. Akimi flushed, obviously not expecting to say that out loud and Haku laughed at her embarrassment, making her red face darker even more and looked to the side where the lake is. He knew her clan was wiped out, but he couldn't help and vow to keep her innocence safe. Even after all the killings they had done, all the grief she has felt in the past, Akimi still managed to keep her innocence in her eyes. It's amazing, really, and Haku -also Zabuza- will keep her innocence safe.

Akimi sighed quietly before staring back at Haku, her gaze held sincerity and adoration in them. "Ano... It's just that... I've never had a sibling before. So I thought, this is how it feels to have a big brother... I-It's okay though! I don't have to call you tha–"

"No. It's okay..." Haku told her gently, his eyes softened and his smile grew wide. He leaned forward until his forehead touched against Akimi's, staring at her innocent galaxy orbs.

"I also thought of you like a little sister. So, you can call me 'nii-san' anytime you want." Haku closed his eyes in content, happy that Akimi also thought of him like that. The silverette blinked slowly, unable to comprehend what happened before she too closed her eyes. She giggled happily.