Chapter 1

"Sohee-ya!"

I moaned the moment I heard my mother's voice.

"Get up now! It's already eight!"

I barely opened my eyes when I slowly sat up and rubbed my eyes with the back of my hands.

"Ne!!" I shouted back so she'd stop yelling.

I sighed before washing myself in the bathroom. I took a bath and changed into my working clothes.

It's a weekend so instead of going to the university, I'm off to my part-time job.

My father is already in God's hands, so I'm currently living with just my mother and younger brother who is in high school.

I work part time so I could pay for my brother's school fees since I'm a scholar in the university. I'll be graduating soon so I have to work harder.

My mother used to make kimchi as her livelihood living. She raised us by selling kimchi in shops but when she was diagnosed with stage 2 colon cancer two months, she was advised to avoid stressing herself.

That's why I also save money to pay for her chemotheraphy.

"I'll get going, eomma." I said after I ate the breakfast that she prepared for me.

"Kurae. Take care." She said.

I then took my bike out of the parking lot in front of the apartment. I rode for about twenty minutes until I reached my destination.

I work as a waitress in a chicken restaurant.

"Annyeong haseyo." I greeted my workmates and my manager as soon as I got in.

"Sohee, there is another delivery but Hyunseong is not back yet. Could you deliver it instead? I will pay you extra." Our manager said.

"Sure thing." I immediately agreed. That extra pay means a lot.

She gave me the address and the orders that I am about to deliver.

"You have a bike, don't you?" She asked.

"Ye. I can use it." I said.

"Arasseo. Bike safely." She said before I left the restaurant.

I was about to deliver fifteen pieces of chicken.

I rode for about fifteen minutes until I reached the address that our manager gave me.

I wondered if it's the right address because it doesn't look like I'm delivering to a household or to an office. There's a lot of cars parked everywhere and the place is open.

I left my bike on one side and carried the chicken as I walked to survey the place.

I saw people in formal clothes.

Is there some kind of event going on?

I walked around the building beside it, thinking the person who ordered the chicken might be coming from there.

I welcomed myself in since the back door is open.

"Where's Jinri?!" I suddenly heard a loud voice.

I walked closer to a slightly opened door, but I was scared to interrupt so I decided to wait for them to end their conversation so I ended up hearing everything.

"She ran away this morning. And we could not find her."

"How are we supposed to tell everyone that the wedding is cancelled?"

So it's a wedding. I can hear voices of old people.

"Businessmen from big companies are here. If we do that, it will only embarass both of our families. This can affect our business."