0.2

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
— September 16th, 2017 —

Lila smiled brightly as she walked out of Dave Hakstol's office with a lanyard around her neck with an ID card that read "Flyer's Photographer" on it

Lila smiled brightly as she walked out of Dave Hakstol's office with a lanyard around her neck with an ID card that read "Flyer's Photographer" on it. Her camera hit her stomach lightly with every step that she took.

Hakstol had informed the young girl she would be going on the road trips with them to the cities. She couldn't be more thrilled, for the girl had rarely been out of Canada or Pennsylvania. She was nervous though, she knew Travis wouldn't be too thrilled about the idea of his sister coming along. He was finally getting his freedom away from family but here it was being shredded to pieces.

Meanwhile Nolan was down on the ice with the guys. They were trying to get excited and prepared for their first preseason game which just so happened to be tomorrow night against the New York Rangers. Then they would fly out to Ottawa. He knew his big NHL debut probably wouldn't be as successful as Auston Matthews' but he knew it would be something to cherish. He knew he would never forget it.

Lila walked down the tunnels and down to the ice where her brother and his teammates were. She smiled proudly as they came into view, some almost instantaneously noticing her new badge and the camera around her neck.

"So," Lila started as she stood before the boys. "It seems like I'll be around here a little more often." She looked over at Nolan who had a half smirk on his face.

The next day came faster than Nolan would've liked. His nerves were getting the best of him, today was the start of preseason. He didn't want to think about what he would be like the first regular season game. Lila on the other hand was buzzing with excitement. This was her first real job as an adult. She had turned eighteen only a month prior and didn't have time to get a job between college and working. But luckily for her she was able to get online courses so when she goes on road trips she can still learn.

Lila was in her room doing schoolwork when she heard a bunch of laughter and yelling coming from downstairs. The boys had come over and Travis didn't bother to inform her. Since Lila had seen the guys so much she didn't really care that she was in one of her brother's old sweatshirts or a pair of her sweatpants.

She closed her laptop and went downstairs to go grab a drink from the kitchen. She tried to avoid the living room where all of the boys were but however the odds were not in her favor and she was noticed.

"Lila! Come play NHL with us," Claude yelled across the house causing Lila to huff. She didn't have all of the time in the world to finish her ten thousand word essay.

"You know I'd love to C," She spoke as she walked over to the living room. "But I am in college and I do have some commitments. I have to have a ten thousand word essay about World War II done by noon tomorrow. With the game tonight I may just have to pull an all nighter." She said to him. Ivan groaned and she looked over at him with her eyebrows furrowed.

But that was when Lila realized the elephant in the room. How could she not have noticed Nolan was right there? Nolan couldn't help but stare at Lila in what seemed like one of her normal states. She looked so natural but yet so perfect at the same time and he couldn't possibly comprehend that. He wouldn't say he was falling for her, he couldn't possibly, but she was one of the most mesmerizing people he had ever encountered. She had thick black rimmed glasses on, a sweatshirt that was clearly from a hockey team with her last name on it and a pair of gray sweatpants, and to top it all off her hair was in a bun on the top of her head. Her hands were stuffed in her pockets as she spoke.

"Well how many words do you have now? You can just bring your laptop down here and just... chill with us I guess," Travis had suggested. Lila was surprised by the gesture. Usually she was stuck cooped up in her room when the guys were over. She nodded and went upstairs to go grab the laptop she suddenly hated and would much rather burn than write her essay.

She came back down and sat at the open spot next to Taylor. He smiled at her and ruffled her hair, causing her to glare at him.

"You ruined my bun," She said as seriously as she could but failed and ended up laughing. Nolan chuckled as he watched the brunette fall into a fit of hysterics. Soon enough pretty much everyone in the room was laughing their asses off.

Taylor had always had a crush on Lila. It was almost impossible to in his opinion. He remembered the first time he ever saw her at one of Travis' games for the 67's. He went to it to go see his friend, Dante. He saw Lila and was star struck, everything she did seemed to be practically perfect. And all she was doing was sitting there watching a game of hockey. Maybe that's why he thought she was so attractive; she liked the sport that was his life.

Shayne was currently beating Jordan in a game of Flyers vs. Penguins. Shayne was the Flyers, Jordan the Pens. Lila tore her eyes away from the screen for a few minutes to write a few more sentences for her essay that was coming along nicely.

"You misspelled evenly," Taylor mumbled, but Lila still heard him. She felt lightheaded and leaned her head back on the couch. Ivan was the only one who understood what was going on and he nudged Travis.

Travis looked over at his little sister that was paler than she was an hour ago. Her head was leaned back against the couch and she had her eyes closed. Lila's heart felt like it was about to burst out of her chest.

"Lils?" Travis called over to her. She didn't respond, she was too focused on trying to control her breathing. "Lila Everly," he said more sternly. Nolan looked over at Lila and furrowed his brows. What was going on?

"Yes?" Lila asked with her eyes still screwed shut. She took a few more breaths before opening her eyes and managing to get to her feet. Ivan got up and put his arm around her waist and took her into the family room that was in the back of the house.

"Lils, when was the last time you took your sugar?" He asked quietly. He wasn't risking anyone finding out, he knew Lila didn't want the entire team knowing about her Diabetes.

Lila had to think about her answer. She hesitated. "This morning? Maybe? I-I can't remember. Ivan can you grab me something to eat and my kit?" Ivan obliged and went up to Lila's room to grab the black fabric case. He went into the kitchen to grab a glass of apple juice and a packet of gummy bears he knew the Konecny's had in case things like this happened with Lila. She had her own cabinet in the kitchen which had foods to raise her blood sugar in times like these.

Ivan had to pass the living room to get back to Lila. Travis looked back and got up to follow his best friend to his sister. Lila sat on the couch with her head leaning back, the dizziness becoming too much for her to handle with her eyes open.

"Lils, I got your stuff," Ivan said and she slowly opened her eyes to see her brother and one of her best friends. She smiled weakly and Ivan handed her the glass and packet of gummies.

She thanked him and he finally handed her her kit to take her blood sugar. She was at fifty-five milligrams which wasn't good at all. Travis sighed at his little sister who should be passed out by now. Lila grabbed the gummy bears and began eating.

"Is she okay?" Nolan asked quietly from the living room. Shayne nodded. Only Shayne, Claude, Wayne and Ivan were the only ones who knew about Lila. Taylor didn't even know. She would like to keep it that way, too.

"She just gets sick easily," Wayne said and Claude nodded. They played it off as that Lila gets lightheaded easily when she's under a lot of stress.

Fifteen minutes later Lila was feeling better so she came back out to living room to grab her laptop. She avoided eye contact with the boys before she went back upstairs to her room to rest before the game.