Chapter 8

Camila's POV

"Okay, you got the list and you know the rules," I said to Giorgio just as I was about to leave for my plane.

We were still at work but I decided to leave early so I could be right on time for my jet. Lauren, her friends, and I were going to Las Vegas for the week and we were leaving in just a few hours.

"Yes," he huffed annoyingly before getting up from his desk. "Still don't know why you're going to Vegas at a time like this."

I rolled my eyes, trying to leave his office as quick as possible. "Gio, it's for one week. You can manage to be a dad for one damn week."

He rolled his eyes harder, "I know I can. But that doesn't mean I won't be worried about you." Here he went with all his fake nicey nice.

"I'll be fine," I said, turning around in my heels.

"What is it about Lauren that you like so much?" he asked, making me once again stop in my tracks. Oh no. "She's all you talk about and you hang out with her even more than Nicolas. What is she to you?"

Only just the love of my life. "She's my friend, Giorgio. I don't know if you know or not but I don't have many of them."

"You don't like any of the people here?" he raised his brows.

"The people who are obsessed with money as much as you are? Of course not," I furrowed my brows. "With Lauren, I can be a real person. I can be myself."

He stared at me, buttoning up his jacket slowly. "Why can't you be like that with me?"

"You already know why. We're too different. We're far from the perfect match," I shook my head.

"We used to be," he shyly smiled, stepping towards me.

"A very long time ago. And then it just all went away. You changed," I said softly by the time he was peering down at me.

"Is this what you really want to leave behind, Camila? Let go of what we used to have and not try to save it?" he questioned, looking deep into my eyes.

"What's the point when we haven't had anything in years? When you don't put in effort? I'm done asking and begging for you to do what you should've been doing for the past ten years," I went on as he tenderly cupped my cheek.

"I'm not proud of it. I hate disappointing you. It's all the stress and demands of this job that makes me go crazy and put work before our family. And I hate that. I'm bad at saying 'no' to working on things because I don't want to let anyone down. But I know it lets you guys down. The people who I need to make my main priority. The people who I need to be with more. Who I love with all my heart and would die for." His words undoubtedly made my heart jump and eyes widen. Okay, as a father and husband, he should say he would die for us but coming from him it sounded dramatic. But maybe that was because I just didn't believe any of the bullshit that came out of his mouth. Then again, he hasn't said anything like that in that way before.

"So, you actually understand what I've been saying for years? Like, all of it? You get it?" I nodded. I'm sure he was lying this time too but he still said it in such a way that surprised me. Was he for once being truthful? I looked into his eyes to find hints.

"I do understand. What we said a few weeks ago about divorcing scared the hell out of me. It woke me up and made me realize that I seriously cannot lose you." So, this was all just because he didn't want me to leave but not change anything.... Yep, he's lying. I crossed my arms and squinted my eyes, continuing to listen to his bullshit. "I'm gonna fight for you, Camila. We're meant to be together forever. When we made those vows ten years ago on June 24, 2007, it was a promise. And I won't break that."