Kisses and Chariots

"Clove, Clove can you hear me?" I wake up. I see Enobaria leaning over me. I sit up. I'm in my bed on the second floor of the Tribute Building.

"What happened?" I ask.

"You fainted because you were breathing too fast. You hyperventilated. As soon as you did, Fefe ran to us and Brutus carried you back to the floor." Enobaria explains sweetly, even though she looks so menacing with her sharp, shark-like teeth.

"Where's Cato? Is he alright? What happened to him?" I demand.

"Cato is injured pretty badly but he'll be ok. After you and Fefe went to the prep station, Selina threatened Cato to tell her President Snows deepest and darkest secrets. She wanted to take down Snow. And when Cato wouldn't tell her, she tricked Cato into going to the training center and she locked them inside. She hit him over the head with large weights and threw weapons at him. He dodged most of them."

"Why didn't Cato fight back?" I ask. I know he's completely capable of defending himself. After all, he did kill someone.

"I don't know why. They were in a room full of weapons. I don't understand." Enobaria looks tired and worn out.

"Can I see Cato? When is he coming back?" I need to see him. I've never been so worried. I care more about Cato than I do about myself.

"He'll be back tonight before the Tribute Parade. You still need to go and get your hair and makeup done." I nod in compliance even though I'm sick to my stomach in worry. I know the Capital has magical medicines that can heal broken bones in hours. Enobaria helps me up to my feet and out of the room. I'm still wearing my hospital gown but I don't care. Fefe is sitting on the couch. She sees me and stands up.

"Oh, I'm so glad you're okay!" She gives me a hug and leads me out the door. When we get downstairs, there's hardly anyone in the lobby besides an absurd amount of Peacekeepers. We walk down a few hallways until we get to the prep station and I sit infront of the mirror. Fefe does my makeup in gold and brushes my hair into a ponytail. She takes my measurements and types them into a laptop. And just like that, an avox comes in with a gold gladiator costume. Fefe thanks the avox and hands the costume to me.

"Amazing how fast it's made isn't it?" She asks. I nod.

"Your district is Masonry, so I figured gladiators represent that well! Do you like it?"

"Yeah." I say solemnly. I'm still really worried about Cato. I can't get him out of my mind. Enobaria said he's okay but I need to see him.

"What about Cato? Do you have his made too?" I ask.

"Yes, his stylist will give him his. Oh!" She yells as she looks at her watch.

"We have to go! Get on your costume and meet me in the hall!" She runs out and shuts the door. I look into the mirror. I might actually look beautiful today, I mean it's not the cutest costume but it's okay. It's not girly, which is right up my alley. I hurry and put it on but I carry my golden hat and walk out of the door. Fefe jumps when she sees me.

"Come on, come on! You have to be there now! I totally lost track of time!"

We start running down the halls until we get to the Capital building where the chariots will take us out. Fefe opens a silver door and let's me in first. All of the horses and carriages are assembled in a line. Some horses are still getting their harnesses on and some tributes are talking and others are just messing with their outfits which look ridiculous. I look everywhere for Cato but he is nowhere to be found. I didn't feel like talking to anyone so I ask Fefe to take me to my carriage. It is bigger than I thought, maybe it's just because I'm small. There are no steps up. I put my leg on the cart and try to reach the handle to pull myself up but I can't get it. But just as everything seemed hopeless, I feel someone lift me up inside. When I'm in the carriage, I turn to see who it is.

Cato.

"Cato!" I yell in excitement. He has cuts on his arms and stitches. He also has a black eye and a bandage around his forehead. I carefully jump onto him, wrapping my arms around his neck and my legs around his waist.

"Woah there, miss me?" He asks and laughs a little. He still sounds like the same old Cato. I'm so relieved.

"Yes! A lot! I was so worried about you!" I squeeze him tighter. And out of nowhere he kisses me. I pull away.

"Oh, I'm really sorry." He apologizes and his eyes dart away, avoiding mine. He shouldn't be.
I liked it.

What? Did I just think that? Then it hits me. Something deep in my soul, secrets.

I do love him, more than a friend. And without thinking a second thought, I kiss him back. I feel him smirking. But I don't stop, I push our kiss into something deeper and more passionate.
This feels like heaven.

Then he pulls back, still smirking as I blush, but I end up smiling like an idiot. He puts me back up on the carriage and he climbs in with no trouble. He grabs the helmet from my hands and places it on my head. I smile at him, still feeling the blood rushing to my cheeks.

"There we go, perfect." He smiles.

We both face forward and wait until the ceremony starts. I feel him grab my hand and our fingers intertwine.

Then the horses start moving. I almost fall backwards when they start marching forward but I grab the railing. As we ascend out of the darkness and into the Capital streets, I watch the crowd cheer and clap as we past. But then they cheer even louder out of nowhere. I look up at the screen and I see the district 12 tributes surrounded in fire. I stare in amazement, but also, jealousy. I want to be praised like that. I didn't realize it but we stopped infront of President Snow's podium. He makes a little speech and we ride off stage.