The Capitol

My eyes are blurry from sleeping. When my eyes go into focus, I see a Peacekeeper crouching beside me with their hand on my mouth. His other hand raises to his mouth, motioning me to stay quiet. I look outside of the cornucopia and see a Capitol plane on the ground. Then, I look to my left and see the others sleeping except for Cato. The plane is silent, it hardly makes any noise at all, just a faint buzzing sound. The Peacekeeper helps me to my feet and leads me into the plane. What is going on? I know it has to do something with Cato. Inside the plan is President Snow and Cato, accompanied by a few Peacekeepers. The door closes and we take off into the sky.

"What's going on?" I ask.

Cato and Snow stand around a table with a map of the arena. This must be the plane that they use to pick up the bodies of the fallen tributes.

"What do you mean, dear? Cato told us about how much he loves you on national television. Everyone heard." Snow says with a puzzled look.

"Where are we going?" I ask, sounding more intense than I wanted.

"The Capitol. I am removing you from the Games. Nothing harms my grandson, he deserves the best. And what he wants, I will protect." Cato looks at me and smiles. Am I dreaming? Are we really safe?

"What about Glimmer?" I ask.

"She has been executed for fraud, pretending to be Cato's lover. But obviously, that is not the case." Snow explains. I smile, but then I start thinking about Marvel.

"What about my friends?" I ask.

"They will continue to play the game until no one remains. You are already the crowned the Victors." President Snow walks towards me and hands me a crown. I take it and stare at it in my hands. Cato and I are treated for our wounds the entire flight, bathed, and given clean clothes.

~

"We're here." Snow says and smiles. How can this evil man be so generous? He's a monster. The plane stops and the door opens. The city glows with lights. Peacekeepers lead Cato and I out and onto the long walkway up to President Snow's mansion.

"You two will live here with me in my mansion."

Cato and I share a look of shock.

"W-with you? In the Capitol?" Cato asks.

"Of course, you will been given the best hospitality from my Avoxes. You'll have so many opportunities in the Capitol, I couldn't have you living in District 2 anymore."

We are led into the main entry way of Snow's mansion and my jaw drops. Everything is pearly white, not a speck of dirt or dust on anything. Snow leads us up the large spiral staircase to the second floor and into a large suite. The suite contains a large king sized bed with white bedding, huge windows draped with pearl colored curtains, and a living space with a white couch, glass coffee table, and a television.

"I'm sure you'll make yourselves at home, I'll let you get some rest and I'll see you two in the morning."

Snow closes the door behind him as he walks out and the room is filled with bitter silence. At this point, I haven't comprehend anything. I am so numb. I don't think Cato can comprehend anything either, we stand in utter shock.

"What just happened?" I whisper.

"I couldn't even tell you myself." He answers. We look at each other and begin to smile from the corners of our lips.

"Welcome home, I guess." He grins and we crawl into the warm, clean bed.