Goodbye, I Love You.

It's been maybe an hour since we left the cornucopia. Everything has been quiet, no cannons, no mutts, nothing. Katniss is leading us up North, Marvel and I follow. Then we hear a stick break, we all look in the direction it came from. There's nothing there except trees, but there is definitely something. Marvel slowly approaches a bush and looks behind it. I have my knife ready, ready for a fight. To my surprise, Peeta stands up from behind the bush.

"Peeta!" Katniss yells and runs up to him. They embrace and Katniss checks for wounds on him. He looks over her shoulder and smiles at me.

"Hey, Clove, you made it!" He exclaims and walks over to me. His face is dirty, but so is the rest of him. Then a cannon goes off. He looks behind Marvel and I and then back at me.

"Where's Cato and Glimmer?" He asks.

"I don't know." I say, eyes wide. Cato. He may not care about me but I care about him. I begin running back in the direction of the cornucopia, the others running after me. Their feet stomp the ground like elephants, cracking sticks and jumping over tree roots. I run at full speed so it doesn't take long to reach camp. My head throbs with every step and my legs burn but I keep going. Finally, when we reach the cornucopia I see Cato sitting by himself on a crate. When he sees me, he runs up to me and we meet in the open field of grass and embrace each other. He hugs me tightly and we don't say anything. He smells different. . . almost, clean? He isn't dirty anymore either. He doesn't feel as cushiony as he used to, he feels hard. Then, I notice that his bandage isn't there, not even a scar where he was cut. Peeta, Katniss and Marvel run out of the woods and stand beside us.

"Where's Glimmer?" Marvel asks. Cato lets go of me and steps back.

"She didn't make it." He says and looks down. I'm almost happy inside. Finally, she's gone. Marvel gives him a puzzled look.

"What? What happened?" He asks. His face is melancholy.

"Uh, mutts." Cato answers and nods his head.

"Clove, can I talk to you alone for a minute?" Cato finally looks up at me. The others nod and walk back to the cornucopia.

"Yeah. What's up?" I ask. Cato looks around to make sure nobody is overhearing us.

"Listen, I found Glimmer after the fog. We walked around lost in the fog, in the opposite direction of the cornucopia unknowingly. Then she kissed me." He says in a whisper.

"What? She kissed you?" I'm getting angry.

"That's not my point. Anyway, after she kissed me, the Capital plane came and picked us up. President Snow, my grandfather, was in it. And he said that Glimmer seems really important to me, so he decided to spare her life. He brought her back to the Capital. He said that he is going to make sure I win the games. Then, I will go back to the Capital and marry her. And I will live in the Capital for the rest of my life." After he says that my heart stops. I feel like three tons of bricks are on my shoulders.

"What?" I ask, emotions basically pouring out of me. Without hesitation, Cato grabs my face and kisses me.

"I love you, Clove. And I swear I won't forget you." Tears swell up in my eyes. He loves me, and I love him. This isn't how it is supposed to end.

"I love you, too." I say and wrap my arms around him. He pulls back and wipes a tear off my cheek with his thumb. We stare at each other for a minute then walk back to the cornucopia. It's getting dark now, Cato and I sit down on a crate.

"I'm hungry." Marvel complains.

"Me too." Cato agrees. I walk over to a couple of backpacks and unzip them. I scrabble through all of the ropes and wire and tents and pull out a bag of apples.

"Look what I found." I say and hold up the bag.

Marvel grabs the bag and rips it open. He tosses an apple to me. I take a big bite out of it and watch the others enjoy their apples.

After a while of sitting in silence, Katniss lays down.

"We better get some sleep." She says. We all agree and find a place to lay. Shortly after, I fall asleep in Cato's arms.

After a few hours of heavy sleeping, I suddenly awake to find someone's hand over my mouth.