Bloodbath

The sun blinds me.

Finally, my eyes adjust. I turn to my right and see Peeta, he is staring at Katniss who is directly across the field. I look to my left, it's the boy from 6. I don't see Cato anywhere.

I turn my attention to the numbers counting down on the cornucopia.

"5, 4, 3, 2, 1."

Then, a huge gong sounds off. I jump off of my pedestal and run as fast as I possibly can. I am very small and agile, so I make my way to the front of the tributes easily, leading them into the blood bath.

I run inside of the sheet metal cornucopia and grab a sheath of six knives. I notice from the corner of my eye, Peeta darting into the woods. What a baby.

~

About seven people are dead from the bloodbath. After a hectic few minutes, the survivors have scattered into the tree line. Cato meets me in the cornucopia.

"You made it. You good?" He asks and gives me a tight hug.

"I'm okay. Are you?" He nods as Glimmer walks up to us.

"Wow, Cato, we did that. We got 7 of them. What about you, short-stuff? How many did you kill?" She shoots me a wicked grin. I roll my eyes at her.

"Where's Marvel, Peeta and Katniss?" Cato asks me, disregarding Glimmer.

"You didn't answer my question." Glimmer butts in.

"Screw off." Cato says sternly. She snares at me before walking off.

"No, I haven't seen them. I only saw Peeta run into the woods. I'm going to find them." I say.

"Ok, I'll come with you." Cato grabs a backpack.

"No, I'll go by myself." I answer.

~

Everything is quiet in the woods. It's been a few hours since the bloodbath and night has fallen. There's no screaming or rustling until I hear something in the trees above me. I look up and to my surprise, I see Katniss. I motion her to come down with my hand. She puts one finger up to her mouth to show me to stay quiet, with her other hand she points to something on my left. My eyes follow her finger to a muscular male tribute sleeping in a tree a few feet from the one she's in. Katniss is starting to climb down but very slowly, until she steps on a small branch and it breaks under her foot and she falls to the hard ground. Instantaneously, my eyes go straight to male in the tree. He is awake and looking directly at me.

Katniss gets her footing and is too, looking at the male. Without hesitation I throw a knife at him. He ducks and my knife just misses. It missed? But how? I have made the man angry. He gives me a deathly stare before jumping out of the tree and runs directly toward us. Katniss and I scramble for our footing as we begin running, my feet burn. Katniss is a fast runner, she keeps up with me.

I look back and see the man keeping up with our pace, a curved sword in hand and ready to kill me. I push myself to run faster when suddenly, I trip on a hidden tree root and fall to the ground. My foot is caught in a tangled web of roots and I can't manage to release it. I watch in horror as the male tribute approaches me.

"Cato!" I scream at the top of my lunges. I close my eyes and a canon goes off.