We Can Do Anything

I hear the sirens all night. I'm unconscious but they are still there, the noise. Marvel.

I wake suddenly, thinking about him. I gasp and remember it wasn't a dream, Marvel is dead. The cool morning breeze hits my face as I rub my eyes. I'm surprised that I didn't fall out of the tree last night. My chest still hurts. I lean up and sit for a minute, looking around. The park trees are bare. I get up and climb down, my hands burn from the bark rubbing against my skin. When my feet hit the grass, the weight of the world falls on my shoulders. I still feel sick, like I might throw up.

I walk through the park and down a few streets until I reach the Tribute building. There's still a few cop cars and yellow tape around where Marvel fell. I wipe a tear from my cheek and walk into the lobby. Peeta and Cato are sitting on a bench with their heads in their hands. I walk over to them and touch Cato's shoulder. He looks up right away and hugs me. We don't say anything. Peeta stands up and hugs me as well. Marvel didn't deserve to die, at all. And what about Fefe? She was one of the last people with him. Does she know? I have to tell her. It won't be easy but it's the right thing to do. I release Peeta and look at Cato. I grab his hand and give it a squeeze. Then I let go and walk towards the Cleaning Room where Fefe made me pretty for the chariot ceremony before the games. I walk down a series of halls until I reach the room. I knock and walk in, Fefe is in here looking at a screen with outfit designs on it.

"Hey." I say as sweetly as possible.

"Hey!" She gets up and hugs me. She's smiling. She has different colored stripes in her black hair. She pulls back and asks, "Is Marvel with you?" She asks and looks over my shoulder. I frown.

"I have to tell you something, and it won't be easy." I say.

"What? Does Marvel not want to see me again?" She asks. Her smile fades. She looks sad.

"No, that's not it." I sniffle.

"Oh, okay. Can you ask him if he can meet me at noon?" She smiles again and rocks back and fourth in her heels.

"Marvel is dead." I spit the words out fast. They hurt, they burn my throat. Her smiles fades again.

"What? No, no that's not true." She won't believe me.

"I'm sorry, Fefe." I say. She puts her fingers to her mouth, they're trembling. Tears spill down her cheeks. I give her a long hug before walking out. I know she'd want to be alone, I did last night. I walk down a few halls and reach the lobby. Cato is pacing back and fourth and Peeta is sitting on the bench again. When Cato catches sight of me, he hurries and grabs my hand. I look down.

"It was my fault." I say hoarsely.

"Don't you ever believe that it was your fault." His voice sounds tired. I don't think he slept at all last night.

"I'm so stupid, how did I let this happen." I put my hand to my forehead and close my eyes.

"Clover, stop. Look at me. Look at me." He pulls my chin up with his hand. "It was an accident." He says.

"An accident? No, Cato. I'm the Savior, I'm supposed to bring peace and clarity to Panem. I failed. I just can't do it." I look into his deep blue eyes.

"You said it yourself, we can do anything. Remember?" Then he says it again. "We can do anything." He lifts up my chin higher and kisses me.