Savior

There is a woman wearing a hairnet, standing behind the counter. She smiles at me. She looks so familiar, I don't think I've seen her before but I feel like I know her. The chain of prisoners connected to me is pulling me past but I resist it.

"Clove, right?" She asks. Her voice is high and young sounding. I nod.

"Hi, I'm Violet." She smiles again. She has soft blue eyes like Cato's, they remind me of him. The next thing I know, flashbacks of Cato fill my mind. Then, the chain on my wrists suddenly jerks forward and I drop my tray onto the floor.

"Hey!" I yell.

"Keep moving!" A peacekeeper yells back at me. I am forced to move forward. The other prisoners sit down at a table. It's very difficult moving when you're chained to other prisoners. I sit down on a small steel stool. Peeta sits next to me and Marvel follows him.

"You can have some of mine." Peeta offers.

"Thanks, only a little." I say and he hands me his slice of stale bread. I take a bite but I can't stop thinking of Violet. Where did she get that white rose? Is she from the Capitol? Did Snow send her? I want to know.

After only ten minutes of eating, we are directed to our bunks. We leave the building and enter another gray building. There are bunks in one long row. We all lay down in our beds. We are still connected by the chains. My ankles are sore from the cuffs pulling me around. I try to lay on my side by the chains pull my hand back. The person next to me, yanks my chain back to where it was and I lay on my back. I turn my head to face Peeta.

He mouths the words: 'It's gonna be ok.'

Then he smiles. A peacekeeper walks into the room and turns off the lights. I close my eyes and try to sleep, but Cato's memory burns like fire in my mind. I wonder if he's even worried about me? He said he doesn't care. I just want an answer. The next thing I know, I'm fast asleep.

"Attention!" I hear someone yell and jerk awake. I'm ready to get up but the leading prisoner is still in bed. A guard stomps over to the prisoner and violently pushes him off of his bed and onto the floor, our chains jerk to the side when he falls. We don't have any blankets or pillows so I woke up freezing. The man stands up and so do I. Marvel struggles to get up because of his leg but he manages to get up before the guard notices. We walk out the door and straight to another building, inside there is a small room with peacekeepers and there are two doors.

"These are the bathrooms, you will have two bathroom breaks per day." A man says who is standing in the room. He's wearing a peacekeeper uniform, just without the helmet. I look back at the bathrooms. A peacekeeper closes the door that we came through and starts uncuffing prisoners. When he gets to me and takes the cuffs off, I rub my wrists. They are very sore. I don't have to go to the bathroom but I go inside the door marked 'Girl.'

Inside there are multiple stalls and a few sinks with no mirrors. Then, I notice Violet at a sink. She looks at me and smiles.

"Hey." She says.

"Um, have we met before?" I ask and put my hands in my pockets.

"No. But I'm President Snows granddaughter. Maybe you've heard of me?" She says.

"Wait, are you related to Cato?" I ask.

"Why yes, I'm his sister." Cato has a sister? And I never knew?

"Really? But if you're related to royalty, why are you here? And that white rose you gave me yesterday, where did you get it?"

"I chose to be here." She walks over to me and whispers. "I was sent here by Snow, to watch over you. He knows who you are, Clove. You can't pretend to hide it."

"What? What am I hiding? What am I?" I give her a puzzled look. I really have no idea what she's talking about. What am I? I'm something? Am I different? What am I hiding? She looks at me and lowers her eyebrows.

"You really don't know, do you?" She asks. I shake my head.

"You are the first daughter of the first daughter. It's a legend. You will bring peace to Panem, end the war against the districts. Clove, you are the savior." She whispers. I'm the savior? I've heard the legend but I never believed it was real. Right as I'm about to say something, a guard knocks on the door. I give one last look at Violet and walk out. Right infront of me is a peacekeeper. He roughly but the cuffs on my wrists and ankles and I'm back in line. As we walk out of the building, the words repeat in my head: 'You are the savior.' I am the savior. I will bring peace to Panem.

"In formation!" A guard yells. We are back at the fence. The first prisoner leads us down the worn, dusty path that we walked yesterday. Part of me just wants to yell, 'I am the savior!' But that sounds absolutely crazy. I can't and I won't.