Parachutes

I hear a beeping, a foreign sound to the quiet woods I've gotten used to. It's a parachute. I frantically look around, scanning the sky. Then I see it, it falls on top of some brush. I grab the silver parachute and open it. Inside there is a note that reads:

'For Cato's wound. - A Sponsor.'

I pick up a little silver container that is tucked away inside the capsule. I scan it for a minute before running back to Cato. I kneel on the ground next to him and open the container. It's some pasty, purple substance. I scoop some out with my fingers and carefully approach his wound. As I'm about to rub it over the cut, he awakens.

"Cato!" I sniffle and wrap one arm around the back of his neck and lean in to hug him. His breathing is heavy and jagged.

"What happened? Is it bad?" He hisses and flinches.

I look at his wound again.

"Yes, but we received medicine from some sponsors. Do you want to put it on? The sooner we put it on, the better." I ask and hold the container out to him.

He scoops out some ointment and slowly rubs it on to his cut. He winces his eyes every time he moves his fingers around his cut. After he stops rubbing it on, I start to unwrap the bandage around my head from my injury in the training center, but he grabs my wrist to stop me.

"Stop," He sucks in air through his gritted teeth and closes his eyes again.
"I'm fine." He says and releases his grip on my wrist.

"No, you're not," I say sternly. "You need it more than I do. Besides, it doesn't hurt anymore." I lie.

My head throbs from sobbing. I start unwrapping my bandage again and he doesn't stop me. After I get it off, he slowly lifts his head off the ground so I can wrap the bandage. I tuck it around his head, wrap it and finally tie it.

"Thank you." He sets his head down again and smiles. I can tell that smile hurt his head because he kind of flinched. I smile back at him and spend a few minutes looking into his eyes.

"You could just stare at my big blue eyes all day or, we could find shelter and save our lives." He says playfully. I break the stare and laugh a little.

"Okay, can you walk? I know how it feels to get a head injury and it hurts like heck." I say.

"The medicine is already starting to help but I'm beginning to have a headache." I help him stand.

"Yeah, you'll have one for quite a while." I laugh and we begin walking. He walks slow but I can't really ask him for much more. We have to go back to the cornucopia with the others but I wish there were some other kind of shelter we could claim so I wouldn't have to look at that stupid blonde bimbo flirt with Cato just to use him so she can win. After a while of walking, we enter into the big open field that holds the cornucopia. Doesn't look like anyone came since the bloodbath, everything's quite. I see the others sitting inside of the cornucopia, Katniss, Glimmer, and Marvel. Then of course, Glimmer jumps up when she sees Cato and runs to us. She pushes past me and gives Cato a hug.

"What happened to you?" She asks and steps back to look at his bandage that was once wrapped around my head.

"It was the boy from 8." He answers calmly.

Glimmer pretends to gasp but I know she's faking it like she does everything. Marvel comes running over to me and gives me a hug. We haven't seen each other since Cato cut his leg at the training center. He pulls away from our embrace and picks up my chin with his fingers, turning my head to look at my old wound.

"I heard about you, that you died." He says quietly.

"Yes, but here I am." We both smile. Marvel is a good friend, I don't think of him as a potential love interest, I think of him as one of my best friends. As we are sharing a sweet moment, I see Marvel's positive expression fall to horror as he looks over my shoulder. I turn around to face what he's looking at and my mind completely stops.