Chapter 16: Our enemy... Parkour...

"NOOOO!" We cried together.

"Why parkour?" I groaned. "I HATE parkour!"

"You and me both!" Midnight agreed. 

"Oh, stop being so negative," said Cally, jumping onto a floating nether brick slab, which was lit by the glowstone underneath. "It's easy! C'mon!"

"I notice you've been very relaxed about this whole, 'Herobrine' situation," Midnight said, following her as she jumped to the next block.

"So? We're in a game; he can't hurt us." Cally pointed out, jumping again to the next brick. I followed them.

"He can hurt our characters," Midnight huffed. A bat flew by and startled me as I jumped, causing me to almost fall into the lava below. 

"Oi! Parkour players here! Watch where you're going next time, please!" I shouted after the creature as it disappeared into the shadows.

"You know it can't understand you, right?" said Midnight, leaping over to the next block as Cally left it. "Yeah, but maybe it'll understand my angry flailing around and use it's head next time." I replied, springing onto the block next to her as she took off again.

"Bat's don't have heads," called Cally from further into the parkour challenge. 

Midnight and I burst out laughing, nearly costing Midnight her life as she jumped.

Cally paused to consider what she'd just said. "I mean, they don't have brains, bats don't have brains!" Midnight and I continued laughing.

The lava below us bubbled and frothed as we jumped, risking our lives every time our feet left the ground. Once, I jumped onto a block before Midnight left it, and I almost knocked her into the lava.

She scowled at me as I pulled her back up and jumped back to the block I'd been on.

The course twisted around the ravine so that you couldn't see the finish from the start. 

Finally, we leapt off one of the nether brick slabs onto a stone platform. In front of us stood...

"A NETHER PORTAL!?" Cally screamed. "ARE YOU KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW!? WE HAVE TO GO INTO THE NETHER!?"

"Well, that IS where Herobrine is rumored to live..." I said, my voice trailing off as I thought.

Midnight lifted her head bravely and stormed through the portal. Cally and I stared, motionless. Suddenly, Midnight's arm shot out and beckoned for us to come. "C'mon, it's not very dangerous here," Her voice said, echoing eerily from the portal.

"There's no such thing as not very dangerous in the Nether," Cally muttered under her breath, but she walked through anyway. I glanced around uncertainly before running through after my friends.