unexpected

I was going to break up with Jack the day before our prom. 

It wasn't entirely my idea, but Carissa's. She was sure this would be the best since it gave him enough time to find another date. Or if he wanted to come with me still, it would be more than clear we were only friends and I wouldn't ruin his day.

I was waiting for him in class, nervously intertwining my fingers and every minute looking up in case he came.

When he did, he sat next to me all happy and cheery. And I felt sick. 

"Jack," I said trying to get his attention. "We need to talk".

His face went from confusing to resignation and I swear I couldn't feel worse.

The class was longer than I remembered and when the bell finally rang, I breathed relieved this was going to end soon. I had more than enough with Alex and his uncle, but finally, Jack was going to be out of the equation. 

We got out of the class as soon as we could and I confronted him right there. I needed and wanted to be clear and stop messing around.

"Jack, I think we should split up," I said, looking at him in the eyes. His face was pure shock and I did not know if this was because he didn't want to or because he was incredulous about the fact I suggested it. "Look, it's not you and it's not me," I started, knowing it would be the worst excuse ever. "It's just we've been together all this time and... you haven't touched me, you know? It's messing with my self-esteem and I just want to know, are you gay?" I let it out without really thinking about it. But low enough so no one could hear us. 

"Anna, what the hell" He simply said. "Look, I'm not- I'm not gay, right?" He said lower this time. "I was just thinking the same lately. We are more friends than lovers, so I'm glad you brought this up. I'm not sure if I would have been able to."

It was my turn to be shocked. Why the hell didn't he say anything? I could've avoided feeling this bad about cheating on him and the bastard had the nerve to say that now.

"Well, it's clear now then." And I left him there just to go find Carissa and tell her what just happened. This was going to be funny.

I found her not long after at the exit and I called her. During our way back home, I was telling her all of this. 

"Can you believe the jackass said that just now? And not even before I speak or something. He was waiting for me to break up with him" I said annoyed.

"Well, what's the problem now? You got rid of him, just as you wanted." She said back. 

I knew that, but I was annoyed I found out he thought the same. Why wouldn't he break up with me first?