Task One: Worth One's Weight in Gold

Over thirty-three years, a wall of screens has slowly extended across one wing of The Scientist's laboratory. It started with one, revealing the view from a little camera installed into a toddler, and a monitor just underneath, keeping track of the child's vitals as they entered a world so unlike the dying one they had been born into. Paper and pencils had been strewn around the screen, full of scribbled, unorganized observations in The Scientist's very own handwriting- which had always been, for the most part, illegible. All of those were filed away in a drawer now, hidden from view.

Unsuccessful.

But one mistake was just the beginning, just something to learn from. His eyes dart from era to era, all displayed in front of him, each test subject in various states of prosperity and distress. Now, half a dozen employees were assigned to recording the actions of each person, and then sent to even more analysts; now, everything was monitored by the second, and not a single one of his subjects had a clue.

The Golden Age is within sight. Something big is coming, The Scientist knows. Something soon. His countless years of work haven't been for nothing. One of the individuals on the screen in front of him will prevail, paving the way for all of humanity.

If only they knew, he thinks, shaking his head. If only they knew they were worth their weight in gold.

⟁⟁⟁

Welcome, everyone, to Author Games: Golden Age! We are so delighted to be hosting this and would like to take a moment to thank you all for joining. Anyway, let's get down to business.

THE TASK

You've got almost complete free-reign over this. Write what's going on in your character's life right now, as The Scientist is watching- right now, as in the age they are in the form. We'd like to get to know your character and their time period, so make sure to give us an introduction to both through your writing. Show how your character's time period, location, and the current events happening around them impact their lifestyle.

⟁⟁⟁

WORD LIMIT

2000. It's the first task, so we'd like to give you plenty of room to get it all in, but we want to set some sort of limit as well.

⟁⟁⟁

DEADLINE

Wednesday, August 30th, 5pm EST

If you need this translated into your timezone, don't hesitate to ask! We're happy to help.

⟁⟁⟁

DEATHS

 None. You haven't met each other yet, right?

BALLOTS 

One.

On odd numbered tasks, ballots will count towards ballot rankings, which will determine certain bonuses/challenges tributes in the rankings will receive. On even numbered tasks, ballots will subtract half a point from the selected tribute's writing score, and challenges will not be received that task.

⟁⟁⟁

BONUSES

First Entry: +0.5 points

⟁⟁⟁

FORMATTING

For our convenience, please state the task("Task #_" or "Task Title"), your tribute's name, and your wattpad username in the subject line of your entries email. The entry should go in the email body. Ballots (and deaths in future tasks) belong at the bottom of the email after some sort of page break, such as the one below.

⟁⟁⟁

NOTE

Additionally, we'd also like you send your entries to lightoftheshrimp(at)gmail.com from here on out, as Moon has returned to cohosting! Additionally, don't hesitate to comment or PM us with any questions or concerns you may have. Good luck!