Chapter Two

Later that day, I walked home from school, dragging my backpack on the sidewalk and hanging my head so I was looking down at the sidewalk. My face was starting to get hot, and both of my cheeks had turned bright red, as though as if I were embarrassed.

And I definitely was embarrassed.

I mean, look at what happened during the last chapter. An arrow accidently got shot from my own crossbow and bounced around, and everyone that was in the classroom had to get under desks for safety.

Luckily, nobody got hurt, and Mrs. M. was not happy. However, she was not disappointed at me, or even mad. She knew that it was an honest mistake, and that it could happen to anyone.

Anyone can make a mistake, I mean. I bet no one else would shoot an arrow from a crossbow on accident.

I was also thankful that Mrs. M. did not send me to the principal's office, and I did not get detention, suspension, or expelled. She promised that she would keep this incident a secret for my sake.

Unfortunately, my classmates were not about to keep it a secret.

They tried convincing her that she should tell the principal, or even the superintendent. But Mrs. M. said that she would not. Since no one got seriously injured, she told the whole class that it would be best if they would not tell on me, and that if anyone did, then she would personally write them up. My classmates still did not agree with her, but none of them wanted to get written up, so they stopped arguing with her.

Man, Mrs. M. is the best teacher ever!

I slowly walked up to my house and knocked on the front door. I had forgotten to grab the spare key this morning before I left for school so I could get inside the house. I was sort of in a rush this morning, so it must have slipped my mind.

Thankfully, my older sister, Scarlett, always gets home before me on weekdays. She opened the door and smiled when she saw me. "Hey, sis," she said. She had on her usual red dress and low heels.

"Hiya," I replied as I stepped into the house.

She closed the door and locked it, and then turned to face me and played with a strand of her long, brown hair. "How was Show and Tell today?"

"It was good."

"It must have gone pretty well. I got no call from the school."

"Yep. It went according to plan."

There was no way that I was going to tell Scarlett what really happened. I did not want her to worry about me. She already had too much on her plate.

With both our mom and our dad doing business work on the other side of the country, my sister and I have had to live and survive on our own. And neither one of us are old enough for that. I am thirteen years old, and my sister is only fifteen years old. Because of that, Scarlett had to step up and take care of us without our parents.

I feel like our parents just do not care for us anymore. We hardly ever see them, and when we do, they are always on their cellphones, talking about some kind of business work. They never spend time with me and my sister and keep on ignoring us. Plus, they are always rude towards us and also each other. Perhaps that is because of stress, but I have a feeling that is not the case. The last time that our parents were at home - which was a year ago - they were discussing about getting a divorce.

"Margie," Scarlett said, interrupting my thoughts. "Are you hungry?"

I nodded. "Of course. My stomach has been growling at me all afternoon."

Scarlett giggled. "Then I will get supper started." She walked into the kitchen. "Oh, sis," she suddenly called out to me. "Would you get the mail for me? I totally forgot."

I giggled. My sister and I are so forgetful sometimes. "Sure. Let me just change into something more comfortable."

I went upstairs to my room and tossed my backpack on the floor. I took off my school clothes and put on my nice, black pants and my red, long-sleeved shirt. I grabbed some braids and put my long, brown hair into pigtails, and then put a couple of red bows in my pigtails. After looking at myself in the mirror, I went back downstairs, put on my low heels, and raced outside to the mailbox.

I opened the mailbox and reached inside, trying to grab all the mail with just one hand.

"Huh," I said to myself. "I am only feeling one envelope."

I pulled out the envelope and looked in the mailbox to see if there was any more mail, but there was not. I looked at the front of the envelope, and my eyes widened when I noticed who it was addressed to.

It was addressed to me.

"That cannot be. I never get mail. I have never gotten mail in my entire life."

I opened the envelope and pulled out a piece of paper. It was a letter. The letter said:

"Margie Morgan,

Congratulations! You have been chosen to visit the home of Forlot. Everything - travel expenses, shopping experiences - will be covered by the fellow people of Forlot. Please bring all of your things, for this will be a vacation that you will never forget. And if you have any relatives or friends that would like to tag along with you, then feel free to bring them also. We look forward to seeing you.

Signed,

Mr. Hawk"

I ran back in the house. "Scarlett! You are not going to believe this! We are going on vacation!"