Chapter Ten

"Ah!" I screeched and quickly lowered my head from the window. I could feel my heart beating rapidly.

Pound. Pound!

My forehead was sweating.

Drip. Drip!

Breathing heavily. Taking deep breaths.

My hands were quivering. The last time that my hands did this...was yesterday.

The thoughts came back into my mind. Show and Tell. My classmates laughing at me. Accidentally shooting the arrow, causing it to bounce around the classroom. Worst moment of my life!

I tried holding back tears. I hate crying. I really do. Especially when other people are nearby. They would wonder if I was okay, and I would always say, "I am fine," even though I am not. However, if they were not satisfied with that answer, then they will keep hovering over me, bothering me and making me more stress than I was before.

Why can people not leave me alone?!

I tugged on my braids, hoping to calm down. Dr. O'Connor rubbed my back. "What is the matter?" he asked.

"Mr. Hawk," I whispered as I hugged him tightly. He seemed awkward by my urge to give him a hug and slowly hugged me back. "He...he is there."

"Where?"

"Right there." I pointed at the window, and he squinted through the window and chuckled softly.

"That is not Mr. Hawk."

"What?" I looked out the window and saw two figures standing in the dark. One was a little taller than the other, and the tall figure, gripping ahold of the small figure, screamed, "MARGIE!"

My face went pale. Uh-oh. I recognized that voice.

It was Scarlett. And she was mad. Extremely mad.

"I-I have to go, Dr. O'Connor," I said as I slowly got up and walked to the bus doors.

The bus driver eyed me suspiciously, as if I were bad news or something. Was it because I was a teenager?

Hey, I am not going to do anything harmful. Why do a lot of grownups judge teenagers by their appearances? Have they not heard of the phrase "Actions speak louder than words"? I am sure that there are many teenagers in this world who are good and desire to help others, including me.

That is, if you do not count shooting an arrow from a crossbow, almost injuring, or even hurting somebody. But that was on accident, not on purpose.

"Is this your stop, miss?" the bus driver asked.

"Yes, sir," I answered.

The driver was shocked at what I said. Well, not what I said, but how I said it. Politely. He pulled me aside. "In all my years of driving this bus, no teenager has ever replied to me as nicely as you," he stated. "Thank you."

I slightly smiled. His compliment made me feel a bit better. "Well, we should be nice to one another," I told him. "Love is what makes the world goes around."

"True. Absolutely true." He examined me carefully. "I have never seen you before. Are you new?"

"Yes. I am with my sister and a friend of hers. We are from Pasadena, California."

"California? Interesting."

"Yeah. Interesting if you like robberies, murders, and every other evil thing."

"...oh."

I sighed. "We came to get away from it all..." I was going to say more, the fact that Mr. Hawk was the reason that we were here, and we could be in terrible danger, but the driver jumped in.

"I completely understand." He grabbed a map and handed it to me. "This should come in handy. And I am Paul by the way. Paul Robinson." Paul flashed me a smile and opened the bus doors.

I gulped. I did not want to leave Dr. O'Connor. There was so much that I still did not know on Forlot. All I knew was that it was a dangerous place.

On the other hand...

"Margie! Get over here! Now!" my sister exclaimed angrily.

I stepped out of the bus and went to Scarlett and Sarah. "Scarlett. Sarah. I am so, so sorry," I apologized. I really meant it. It was stupid of me to go into town without Scarlett and Sarah. They had every right to be mad.

"I thought that you were going to wait for us!" Scarlett said. "Instead, you left us!"

I kept my mouth shut. What else could I say besides how sorry I was?

"Um, sis?"

That. Good one, Margie.

I noticed a figure - tall, taller than any of us - looming over us. I shook in fear and became even more terrified when the figure spoke.

"Hello. I am Mr. Hawk."

AH!!!