Chapter Forty-Two

"M-Mrs. M.?" I stammered. I was completely shocked that the hideous creature was none other than her.

"Sorry that I had to frighten you like that, Margie, you wretched girl," Mrs. M. responded, staring directly at me as if she were eating my soul. "I could not let you see the files."

"Why not? And why did you call me a wretched girl? I thought that I was your favorite student. We have a lot in common! We both love monsters!"

"We may love monsters, but we do not have as much in common as you think."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

She clicked her tongue. "So many questions. So little time."

I could feel my head spinning. Was this all real? Or was I dreaming?

Yes! I am dreaming! That would explain a ton!

I pinched my arm. "Ow!"

Nope. I am not dreaming.

"How do you know her, Margie?" Stanley piped in.

"She is my teacher," I answered.

"Correction. I was your teacher," Mrs. M. corrected me. "In fact, I was never your teacher to begin with."

"What?!" My head started throbbing. I was getting nowhere with clear answers, just headaches. "You graduated with an educational degree!"

Mrs. M. giggled. "I never graduated with an educational degree."

"You graduated from college!"

"I never graduated from college."

"You...you graduated from high school!"

"I never graduated from high school. I did not even pass kindergarten. Education was and still is not important to me. What is important is that the master plan gets carried out."

"Master plan? What master plan?" I looked at Mr. Hawk, and then back at Mrs. M. "You work for Mr. Hawk?"

"I work for no one! Jeez. And you are supposed to be the Monster Protector."

Why does everyone think that I am the Monster Protector? Are these people crazy or something?

"You will not hurt the Monster Protector, Mabel Monster," Mr. Hawk cut in. "She is our only hope."

Wait. Her last name is Monster?!

"Correction. She is your only hope," Mrs. M. said. "But she will not last. None of you guys will. My husband has already taken half of your crew. You might as well do all of us a favor and surrender."

"We will never surrender. Not even if our lives depended on it. We will keep fighting for justice and equality between humans and monsters alike."

"Not if my husband has anything to say about it."

"Why can you not see that your own husband is using you?"

"He would never use me, and we love each other very much."

"He experimented on you! He transformed you into a purple and green creature!"

"It was best for me. Plus, I can control my transformation."

"Maybe now, but not for long!"

Just then, I noticed something from the corner of my eye.

Something unusual.

I turned - and saw Dr. O'Connor holding my sister close to him and pointing a gun at her.

"Nobody moves," the doctor said. "Or the girl gets it."

"There is my loving husband!" Mrs. M. exclaimed excitedly.