Chapter Four

Scarlett and I woke up early the next day and gathered our things. Our flight was taking off in two hours, so there was no time to mess around. Scarlett locked the front door as soon as we were outside the house.

"Do you have everything that you want to bring, sis?" she asked.

"Yes," I answered her, and then added, "Everything except my crossbow."

My sister sighed and patted my shoulder. "It is for the best, Margie. I do not want us, especially you, to get in trouble at the airport." She teared up. "You...you and Sarah are all that I have left."

I felt sorry for her. Ever since our mom and dad had distanced from us, Scarlett and I had become close. Unlike other sisters, we have a very good relationship. We always look out for each other and help one another. If something bad happened to one of us, then...well, the other would not know what to do.

I hugged my sister tightly. "It is going to be okay," I reassured her. "We will get on that plane, and we will be at Forlot. Together."

Scarlett slightly smiled and rubbed her eyes. "Thanks, sis."

We grabbed our suitcases and walked down the sidewalk to the airport.

Yes, you heard me correctly. We literally walked to the airport. Since neither one of us have a driver's license, and there was no bus that was driving in the neighborhood at this time of day, we had no choice but to walk. Thankfully, the airport is not too far from where we live - about an hour away - so we would be there in no time.

We soon got to the airport and went inside, and I looked around. "Where do we go first?" I questioned.

"We have to go to one of the counters and pay the clerk for our tickets," my sister responded. She pointed at a counter. "I can do that while we are waiting for Sarah."

I raised an eyebrow. "Hold on. Sarah is coming?"

"Yeah. I told you last night before we went to bed."

"You did?"

"Of course. Do you not remember?"

I thought about it for a bit. She had to be right. I had no idea that Sarah was coming with us until now. On the other hand, I have pretty good memory. So why did I not remember?

Then it hit me. "The message."

"Message?" Scarlett said. "What message?"

I jumped a little. I just talked to myself out loud - and Scarlett heard me.

"Uh, no message," I said quickly. I tried my best not to stammer.

"But you—" she started, but I interrupted.

"The letter is what I meant. I could not stop thinking about it. I am just so excited to go to Forlot!"

My sister must have bought that because she gave me a warm smile and said, "I am excited to be going to Forlot too, even though that we have never been there. But it should be a new and wonderful experience."

I nodded. "I agree."

My sister hurried to the counter to pay for our tickets, and I sat in a chair and waited, looking down. I could not believe it. I lied to Scarlett - twice. First, the incident at school, and now, the message. And no, I am not talking about the letter that I got in the mail. I am talking about the horrifying message that flashed on my computer when I was trying to find some information on Forlot. What would she say if I told her the truth about the message? She would definitely freak out, and we would not be heading to Forlot.

However, my heart told me otherwise. I needed to go to Forlot. There was a reason. But I just did not know it yet.

Still, the message...

"Do not come to Forlot..."

"...or you will die."

"You will die."

"You. Will. Die!"

Tears were beginning to form in my eyes, when I heard a man's voice.

"Excuse me?"

I looked up and saw an older man looking back at me and smiling. The man was bald - yes, bald - and wearing a grey sweater, black pants, and black shoes.

He adjusted his glasses and pointed at a chair that was next to mine. "Is this seat taken?" he asked.

"Oh, uh, no," I replied. "You can sit there." Normally, I do not like it when people that I do not know sit near me, or even next to me, but I decided to be polite.

The man sat down next to me and turned to face me. "I am Dr. Henry O'Connor," he said, holding out his hand for me to shake.

I was feeling a little awkward of him introducing himself to me, seeing that I hardly knew this guy, and shook my head, not wanting to talk to him or shake his hand.

"Do not worry," Dr. O'Connor continued. "I will not hurt you. In fact, I do the opposite. I help people. I am a specialist that travels all over the world and helps people in need."

I turned away, not wanting to speak to him. Something about him made me feel uncomfortable.

"You know, Forlot is a very dangerous place," he added.

"What?!" I spun around. "Y-you know that I am going to Forlot?"