Chapter Forty-Four

"Scarlett! No!"

My sister collapsed on the ground and did not move a muscle. She did not groan. She did not cough.

Her body was lifeless.

"No!" I hurried over to her and rolled her onto her back. Her eyes were closed, and she looked like she was not breathing. "S-sis?"

I tried everything that I could to wake her up. I patted her cheek. I shook her. I kept repeating her name and my name to let her know that I was here for her.

"Scarlett? It is me. Margie. Your younger sister. I need you to say something! Anything!"

But it was no use. Tears formed in my eyes.

Face it, Margie. She will never wake up. She is gone. Gone forever. She is dead because of you.

I sniffed and let out a whimper as I hugged Scarlett tightly. It was all my fault. Because I did not tell her the truth in the first place and listened to my own heart, my own sister, the person who I cherished the most...was dead.

My tears rolled down my cheeks. First, Lean. Now, Scarlett.

Both of them were gone, and I was to blame. Lean was killed from the explosion, and Scarlett was killed from a gunshot.

It...it should have been me.

I should have been the one who got left behind at the factory, not Lean. I should have gotten shot, not my sister.

I looked down - and noticed something odd.

I ran a hand over Scarlett's chest, and then raised my palm to my face.

Huh. That is weird. There is no blood on my hand.

I examined her chest - and came to a sudden realization.

There was no gunshot wound.

Yep, you heard me correctly. I could not spot a gunshot wound on my sister's chest.

Did Dr. O'Connor not shoot her in the chest?

I quickly examined the rest of her body to check and see if she got shot anywhere else.

Nope. No gunshot wound.

Suddenly, I heard a cry of agony. I glanced at Scarlett. She was still not awake. I looked to where it came from...

...and saw Dr. O'Connor...

...with my arrow in his left shoulder.

I quickly covered my mouth to keep myself from gagging. The sharp tip of the arrow was through his clothing and into his skin. Blood was leaking out. It was not much though. Some of the blood stained the doctor's jacket.

"You little...pest," Dr. O'Connor choked out.

I was confused. "I did not do that," I stated.

"No. I did."

I turned my head to whoever said that - and saw Sarah.

She was gripping my crossbow and in a shooting stance as if she were getting ready to shoot.

"Sarah?" I questioned.

Sarah slowly nodded. "Yes, Margie," she spoke. "I shot my grandfather." I could see that she was trying to hold back tears.

"Why would you do such a thing?!" Dr. O'Connor proclaimed.

"I had to! You were going to hurt and possibly kill my best friend, and I could not just stand here and let it happen!"

The doctor pulled out the arrow, grunting as he did so, and threw it to the ground. He held his arm. "You are an O'Connor! Get that through your thick skull!"

"I am not an O'Connor! I am nothing like you!"

"You are! We share the same blood!"

"Ew! Definitely not!"

I was watching those two argue, when I felt a cold hand clamp itself on my arm. I jumped, but then relaxed when I found out who it was.

It was Scarlett.

Her eyes were opened, and she groaned. "Oh..."

"Sis!" I exclaimed excitedly. I pulled her into a hug. "I thought that you were dead! The readers thought that you were dead!"

"M-Margie?" my sister said. She rubbed her eyes. "What...what is going on? W-were we watching the Award Ministry of Performances? Is that why everybody thought that I was a goner?"

I giggled. Scarlett was okay. She likes to make jokes like that, especially when it has to do with the Award Ministry. She and I do not like the Award Ministry of Performances, that is why.

"Not this time," I responded, smiling. "But you will never believe this. Sarah—" Before I had the chance to continue, a creature leaped out of nowhere and landed next to Sarah. I recognized the hideous creature.

It was Mrs. M. Or should I say, Mrs. Monster.

Mrs. M. glared at Dr. O'Connor.

"Get her," he ordered, pointing at Sarah. "Our granddaughter must learn a very painful lesson."

Sarah started backing away, but Mrs. M. hurried towards her and pinned her down. My crossbow flew out of Sarah's hands and plopped down next to me.

"Margie, you have to do something!" Scarlett declared.

"Me?!" I answered. "What can I do?!"

"You are the Monster Protector, so be the Monster Protector!"

"I do not know how!"

"Yes, you do! Stop doubting yourself and think!"

I glanced at Mrs. M., and then at my crossbow. I could hear Sarah's scream ringing in my ears.

It was at this point that I knew what I had to do.