Chapter Twenty-Four

Silence.

I slowly opened my eyes, not moving my body, and looked at my surroundings.

Huh. Wherever I was reminded me of the woods where I died back on Earth. In fact, it was just like the woods in Forlot.

I looked at my feet, which I still had my black shoes on - and immediately realized that I was a few feet from the ground.

Was I...flying?

Well, I did just die.

"Do not worry. I got you," a voice said, breaking the silence. The voice sounded familiar.

I tilted my head back to see who it was. "Lean?" I spoke, surprised that it was her. "Did you die too? A second time?"

"What?" She had a confused look on her face. "What the heck are you talking about, girl?"

"When Stanley was bringing you the vegetable soup, he mentioned that Mr. Hawk did not want you to die again."

Because he wants to use you to take over the world.

"Oh my gosh," she mumbled. "Margie, I am going to tell you the truth and nothing but the truth. Okay?"

"...okay." I wish that I told Scarlett the truth, instead of lying to her.

"Mr. Hawk and Stanley have it all wrong. They think that ghosts are dead, but that has proven to be incorrect. You see, there are ghosts in this world who are born as ghosts. Researchers believe that the reason could be because the ghosts died right away after they were born. However, the scientists here in Forlot disapprove of that theory, and I agree with them a hundred percent. Not every ghost is dead. There are some who are born into this world as ghosts. Simple as that."

I thought about what Lean said. It kind of made sense, although I have never heard of a person who was born as a ghost, just a person who died and became a ghost.

"And I am surprised that you have not freaked out yet that I carrying you a couple feet from the ground," the ghost girl added.

As soon as she said that, I started freaking out. I flailed both my arms and my legs. I am so afraid of heights.

"Calm down, Margie!" Lean reassured me. "We are not even that far from the ground, so chill!"

I then stopped and shook a bit, taking deep breaths and my heart skipping a beat.

Heights. My worst fear.

Wait, I am dead, so I should not be worried about falling.

"Oh, and you're not dead," the ghost stated, as if she could read my thoughts. "I pulled you and your crossbow from the truck before it crashed."

Okay, now I am worried!

I noticed that she was holding onto my arms, and Lean turned away from the cliff and flew in the opposite direction.

"Where are we going anyway?" I asked.

"To the factory," she responded. "I thought that you would assume that, considering the flashback that I showed you."

"I did not see the flashback."

"What? Why not?"

"I was trying to get you to pull over!"

"I told you to relax. Jeez."

"How could I relax if I knew that we could have gotten hurt?!"

"No one got hurt!"

"I could have been severely injured! You would be alright because you are a ghost!"

"Margie! Cool it!"

I was beginning to feel very frustrated, and I had every reason to be. What she did was inexcusable and not right. How could she put me in danger like that? Did she even care for my safety?

"You know what, I will not 'cool it'!" I snapped at her. "I will not relax!"

"Margie!" Lean exclaimed, but in a soft and low voice.

"You put my life on the line, and that is not acceptable!"

"Margie, shush!"

"Do not tell me to shush! I have every right to talk!" I felt Lean losing her grip on me. "Lean!"

"Be quiet and relax! I will not drop you!"

I shook even more, scared that I was going to fall.

"Stay still!" the ghost girl ordered. "If you do not, then you will slip out of my hands."

I tried to keep my body from shaking, but it was no use. I was extremely scared. Before I knew it...

...I fell.

"Oof!"

I landed on my stomach and groaned. Pain spread throughout my body. Everything. Then, I felt heavy breathing.

On my neck.

I carefully turned to see who - or what - it was. I came face to face with a hideous creature. Its small, bright yellow eyes stared at me, and it let out a growl. It arched its back and raised its bony hands with sharp talons as if getting ready to strike me.

Do these descriptions sound familiar? They should.

It was the creature that wanted to attack me back at the mansion.

And to make matters worse...

...there were a bunch of them, and they all swarmed around me.

Forlot: Monster Protector - Book One {Completed}जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें