Chapter Fourteen

A chill ran down my back. Not making out of here alive?

The person who said that held up a basket of apples, and a smile appeared on his face. "Without taking a bite from these yummy apples that we picked!" he exclaimed, handing everyone an apple.

Mr. Hawk chuckled. "Thank you, Stanley," he said and motioned to me, unconscious Scarlett, and Sarah. "Lean. Stanley. This is Margie Morgan, the girl of whom I sent the letter to. Along with her are her sister, Scarlett, and friend Sarah."

I took a good look at the other person who came in with Stanley. Just like Riley, Sage, Lin, and Leen, she was a ghost. She had on a blue, sleeveless top with flowers on it and was wearing bracelets on her wrists, just like Riley. She had her arms crossed, her blue and purple hair gently flowing, and looked to be frowning. I also noticed something weird with her eyes. Unlike the other ghosts' eyes, which were like human eyes, hers were pure white. No color. No pupils. It was really creeping me out.

"It is a pleasure to meet you," Stanley told us. "I am Stanley. Stanley Stine." Stanley wore a brown jacket, jeans, and sneakers. He pointed at the unhappy ghost. "And that is Lean Share."

Lean grunted and gave us a quick wave - in the wrong direction though. Did she not seem to care?

"Uh, Lean?" Sarah piped up. "We are sitting on the couch, not standing by the window." I could tell by the tone of her voice that she was beginning to get used to the monsters.

The angry ghost glared at us with her white eyes, and then floated upstairs, and I heard a door being slammed.

Mr. Hawk sighed and took a bite from his apple. "I am sorry for what happened," the man stated. "I asked her to be on her best behavior when you would arrive, but I guess that was not enough."

"Does she act like that all the time?" I finally spoke.

Zeke shook his head. "She did not act like she is now when we first met her," he said.

"She was so sweet and willing to help others," Lin explained. "Always kind and loyal. She was even a tough fighter!"

"So what changed all that?" Sarah asked.

Silence filled the room. Lin looked at Riley. Riley looked at Sage. Sage looked at Tippy. By then, everybody was looking at one another. Finally, Skippy answered.

"We prefer that we do not talk about it, especially when Lean is not here," the puppet replied. "It has been rough for her since the incident, and we want to respect her privacy."

"Oh."

I saw where they were coming from. They still considered Lean as their friend and wanted to encourage her without embarrassing her in front of others. Hey, I am the same way. I would not like if Scarlett admitted to people about my embarrassing moments. That would be...well...embarrassing. However, they were hiding something.

Something mysterious.

"Come on!" Mr. Hawk called as he got up from his seat. "Time for training!"

All of the monsters, except Skippy and Stanley, groaned.

"Aw, man!"

"Why?!"

"Not again!"

"Why do you guys not like training?" I asked.

Stanley came up to me. "Because it is really difficult," he responded.

"Difficult?"

"Why do you not come outside and see what we mean?" The young boy winked at me.

I could feel my cheeks getting hot. Why was that? Was I nervous? Was I scared? Or...

I turned away from Stanley.

Oh, gosh! No!