Chapter Twenty-Eight

I shut my mouth, and my whole body shook again. I could feel the hand gripping tighter and tighter, its pointy fingertips making way through my shirt and into my skin.

No! Not my arm! My waist is already bleeding!

I wanted to scream so badly, but Lean told me to keep quiet, or they - whoever "they" were - would hear. How could I though?!

"AH!" a loud shrill escaped from my throat. I felt another hand resting itself on my shoulder. It did not feel like the other hand that was holding onto my arm. It felt...light.

Invisible.

"Are you alright?" I heard Lean say.

I was about to answer her when the lights came back on. I blinked a couple of times and noticed that Lean was gently patting my shoulder.

"Is something wrong?" the ghost asked. "Did the flickering lights scare you? The lights always do that from time to time, turning on and off."

I slowly shook my head and looked at her, my eyes hinting a wave of fear. "Someone...is hurting me," I finally admitted, trying my hardest to hold back tears.

She raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"Somebody...is holding onto my arm...and hurting me. I think...I think that it is a creature. A Colnox."

Lean stared at me intently as if she were wondering whether I was telling the truth or not, and I was definitely speaking the truth.

Too bad that I did not tell my own sister the truth.

"Girl, I have no idea what you are talking about," she spoke.

"W-why not?" I stammered.

"Because nobody is holding your arm."

"Huh?!" I spun around. Sure enough, I saw no one near me and gripping my arm. I rolled up my sleeve to see if my arm was bleeding. Nope. It was just fine. "B-but..."

"Okay, now you are reminding me of that show that I watch, along with TinnyTop TurboToppler," the ghost girl said. "What is the show called? Oh, yeah. Tiniess and Turb."

Ha! I told you that she probably watches TinnyTop.

"I am not crazy! I swear!" I exclaimed, starting to get frustrated. "There was a hand on my arm! I know it!" Lean frowned and covered my mouth. "Mmm?!"

"They are coming," she said in a low tone.

Who? Who was coming?

The ghost surveyed the area, and then spotted a wooden desk and directed me to it. We quickly got under the desk, and I suddenly heard clomping.

Clomp!

Clomp!

Clomp!

I carefully peeked out to get a better view at who or what was making the clomping sounds. My eyes widened as I saw man after man stomping down the hallways. I did not know how many men there were exactly. I tried counting one by one, but they were stomping pretty fast. If I had to guess, there were around fifty to seventy of them.

All of the men looked like they could be in the army. They wore blue, camouflage outfits and black boots. They also wore blue, hard helmets to match their outfits.

Each man had a weapon, which looked to be a ray gun, and they swung their arms back and forth, their hands clenched in tight fists. The men then began repeating a weird phrase.

"Ezzt nocht sessie!"

That was not English. Or Spanish. Or any language that I knew of. Was that supposedly a language that those men made up? And what were they saying?

When the coast was clear, Lean and I got out from under the desk and brushed the dust off our clothes. I pulled down my sleeve and sat on the ground. My legs felt prickly.

"Why are you sitting on the floor?" Lean asked.

"My legs," I replied. "I must have put them in a position for too long, causing them to go to sleep."

"Really? We were hiding for only five minutes."

Five minutes? It seemed like forever.

"Who were those guys anyway?" I questioned.

Lean sighed. "That was the group Barmara, or individuality, the Barmerians."

"Barmerians?" First, the Colnoxes, and now, the Barmerians. How many made-up names are we going to have?

"The Barmara works for a company called Zeolex," she explained. "Zeolex is against monsters and responsible for hurting monsters worldwide. The people who run the company believe that being different is evil, so if they need to get rid of everyone who stands out from the crowd, then so be it. At least, that is what I have heard." She glanced down the hallways, and then back at me. "I will explain more on this matter later. Right now, we need to get you to the medical room, stop the bleeding, and then find my eyes before it is too late, for they know that we are here."

"How?" I wondered. "They did not even see us."

"Ezzt nocht sessie," Lean spoke the strange phrase. "That means 'Trespassers are here.'"