Chapter Forty-Five

I glanced at the doctor to see if he was keeping an eye on me.

Nope. He was staring intently at his wife and granddaughter.

"Cut her," he demanded. "Cut her skin and let her see the blood, so she knows once and for all that she is an O'Connor."

"No!" Sarah screamed in protest. Mrs. M. growled and clawed her sharp claws into Sarah's left arm. "AH!"

That is it. There was no time to waste.

I grabbed my crossbow and searched for my arrow.

Where is it? Crub! I wish that I had a spare. But how was I supposed to guess that this whole mess was going to take place?!

After about a minute of searching, I finally spotted the arrow lying behind Dr. O'Connor.

Yes! My arrow blended well in the grass.

I sneaked up, grabbed the arrow, and then quickly backed away. All the while I was doing that, Sarah's cries got louder and louder as Mrs. M. was inflicting more pain to her.

"Stop!" Scarlett shouted, running towards the doctor and tugging on him. "Please! Stop! She is your granddaughter! She does not deserve this!" He frowned at her and shoved her down. "Oof!"

"No can do," he said. "She must be punished."

It was my turn to frown. No one pushes my dear sister.

It was time for him to pay.

I placed the arrow on the crossbow and positioned myself, getting ready to shoot. Gripping it tightly, I raised the crossbow and pointed it at Mrs. M. As I did so, I saw some blood leaking out of Sarah's arm. I felt really bad for her. She was going through that trauma...

...and it was my fault.

I shook my head. Not now, Margie. Do not even think about that. Just shoot and save Sarah.

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. The incidents on Show and Tell flashed back.
——————————————————————————
"Oh my goodness!" the same boy who called me a chicken earlier exclaimed. "She has a deadly weapon! She is going to kill us all!"

"Hush!" Mrs. M. snapped. "Margie would never do that."

"Yes, she would!" the same girl who said that I was afraid of humans earlier screamed. "She hates humans! She wants to kill humans, even though she is a human herself!"

"That is enough!" Mrs. M. yelled. She had run out of patience. She looked at me. "Is that crossbow going to be a hazard, Margie?" she asked.

I shook my head. "Oh, no," I said. "Like I stated before, it no longer works because it was used so much. Plus—"

Before I could finish explaining, an arrow that was already on the crossbow shot out and started going around the classroom. Everybody immediately got under their desks, and Mrs. M. and I were under her desk.
——————————————————————————
And the incident that caused the factory to explode.
——————————————————————————
I played with it, figuring out how to use it - and shoot! The arrow shot out from the crossbow and hit the button, and the beams flickered for a bit before going off. "Yes!" I exclaimed excitedly. "I did it! Did you see that Lean? I actually did it! On purpose this time!" I turned to her and noticed a weird look on her ghostly face. A worried look.

"Margie?" she said. "You pressed the wrong button."

"The wrong button? But the laser beams turned off."

"That is because you pressed the button to the right, not the left. You pressed on the self-destruct button."

My face suddenly went pale. "Self-destruct button?"

"Yep, and I am afraid that this factory is going to blow in three minutes."
——————————————————————————
My body started shaking. Sweat poured from my forehead, and my palms began quivering. Thoughts swirled around in my mind.

What if I cannot do this? What if I shoot wrong? What if I shoot right - but injury anybody but Dr. O'Connor and Mrs. M.? What if I accidentally shoot at Sarah?

Then I heard Scarlett.

"Margie!" my sister called out to me. "Whatever it is that you plan on doing, I know that you can do it!"

"Oh, please," I heard Dr. O'Connor say. "She could not do it even if she tried."

I growled at what he had just said. "Yes, I can!" Without thinking on my decision to shoot any longer, I closed my eyes, gritted my teeth, and - shoot! - launched the arrow. I waited for a few seconds before opening my eyes, and when I did, I saw Mrs. M. lying on the grass...

...with the sharp tip of my arrow in her furry chest.

I jumped up and down. "I did it!" I was so happy. Not only did I shoot on purpose, but I also shot at the person - or monster, in this case - that I had planned on shooting at. It felt great!

"Honey!" the doctor exclaimed. He turned to me and clenched his hands into tight fists. "What have you done, twerp?!"

"I just shot your wife!" I proclaimed. "And it was a perfect shot! That is what she gets for hurting my friend!"

He rushed over to me and gripped my wrist. "You will pay dearly for this!"

"I do not think so! Mr. Hawk and his friends will take care of you!"

"Not if I have anything to say about it!" He lifted me above his shoulders.

Wait, how could he do that?! He got shot in one of his shoulders!

"Whoa, mister! Put me down!" I protested.

Dr. O'Connor gave me the evil eye - and threw me into the air.

"Ah!" Why did he throw me?! What does that prove?!

I covered my face as I started to feel myself falling.

Falling...falling faster...faster...

And then, I stopped.

I uncovered my face and found myself floating in mid-air. "Am I...dead?" I questioned.

"No, you are not."

I looked to where that voice came from - and saw Lean Share holding me by my wrists.