Chapter Thirteen

Soon, Sarah and I were sitting on a couch, hugging each other tightly. Both of our bodies were shaking so much that we could not sit still. Scarlett was lying next to us and remained unconscious. I did not blame her for fainting so dramatically. I mean, there were monsters in this mansion! And they were most certainly not fakes!

Mr. Hawk and one of the ghosts came in with a tray of hot chocolate and a blanket. Mr. Hawk laid the blanket on my sister to keep her warm, while the ghost handed me and Sarah the cocoa.

"Please do not be afraid," the ghost spoke. "We will not hurt you."

Hurt us? Hurt us?! Hello! Mr. Hawk is the bad guy, and you monsters are his goons!

The man sat himself in a chair and stared at us.

Very creepy.

"I am truly sorry for all of this," he apologized.

Are ya?

"W-what are you going to do about us?" Sarah managed to choke out. "T-torture us?"

He shook his head. "We would not do anything of the sort, ladies. We just want to talk to you. You know. Get to know you, as well as you getting to know me and my friends."

I frowned. He was lying through his teeth! Maybe he was going to brainwash me, my sister, and Sarah into becoming part of his monster army. Or perhaps that he planned on feeding us to his monster friends. Whatever it was that Mr. Hawk decided to do, it would definitely not be good, and Dr. O'Connor needed to stop him.

"Let me first introduce you to my friends," Mr. Hawk stated. "They will come in here one by one. That way, you will not freak out as much."

Sarah raised her hand.

"Yes, Sarah?"

"Are these monsters real?" she asked.

"As real as you." He gently patted the ghost's arm. "This is Riley R. Renee. She likes listening to music and enjoys playing her guitar."

Riley had on a green, sleeveless top. She also had bracelets on both of her wrists.

"Music is my thing in this household," Riley said, sweeping back her dark green hair. "If you want music that is done right, then I am your girl."

Another ghost floated into the room. She had her head looking down and accidentally bumped into Riley.

"Watch where you are going, sis," Riley told her.

"Sorry," the ghost girl said in a soft voice that I could barely hear.

"This here is Sage Page, Riley's sister," Mr. Hawk explained. "She loves singing."

Sage was wearing a sleeveless top, except that it was orange, and there were silver stars on it.

"And the best singer that I have ever heard," Sage's sister added.

"I am not that good..." Sage said as she brushed her dark orange hair with her ghostly hand.

"Well, maybe you would believe me if you were not so shy all the time."

Two more ghosts floated in. They looked identical to one another. The only way that you could tell them apart was by their clothes.

"We are the twins!" one of the ghosts exclaimed happily. "I am Lin Stevens, and this is my sister, Leen Stevens."

Leen just rolled her eyes and waved.

Lin and Leen looked very identical. They both had blond hair and had the same facial features. The only way that you could tell them apart was by their clothes. Lin wore a red, sleeveless top, while Leen wore a blue, sleeveless top.

It was not before long that we were introduced to the rest of the monsters. There were three puppets. They were Tippy Tiny, the older brother, Skippy Tiny, the younger brother, and Tappy Tiny, their father.

I never knew that puppets could have parents who are actually puppets themselves. How crazy is that?

Tippy had brown and orange hair and was wearing a green, long-sleeved shirt with jeans and shoes, and both Skippy and Tappy were wearing black jackets and black pants with dress shoes. The only difference was that Skippy's hair was brown, and he was wearing a red tie, and Tappy's hair was grey, and he wore a red bow-tie.

There were also Willy the Werewolf and Zeke, Willy's owner. Surprisingly, Willy was not an actual werewolf. Just a wolf. He liked being called a werewolf though because it sounded a bit scarier. Plus, he could talk. Wow!

Zeke was pretty tall. He had red hair and was wearing yellow and orange armor all over his body, and he clutched a sharp sword.

"That is everyone," Mr. Hawk said.

"Everyone that is here, of course," Tippy reminded him.

Sarah gulped. "There...there are more?" she asked. "More monsters?"

Riley frowned and crossed her arms. "First of all, we are not monsters," she said. "We are just interesting creatures. Second of all, only two of us are not here right now."

"They are on a secret mission," Lin spoke.

"Yeah. To get apples for apple pie," Tappy piped in.

"What about her eyes? She really wants her eyes back!"

"I told her that she could not attempt to get her eyes," Mr. Hawk said sharply. "Now stop with the arguing. Need I remind you that we have guests."

I was totally confused at what they were talking about. Someone's eyes? Taken? Hmm. Why would Mr. Hawk not want somebody to get their eyes? Something fishy was going on.

I heard a low groan and turned to where it was coming from. It was Scarlett. She was finally waking up.

"Oh..." she rubbed her head. "...what happened?" My sister took one look at the group of monsters - and fainted again.

I facepalmed. Scarlett!

The doorbell rang. "I will get it," Skippy said nicely, leaving the room. A couple minutes later, the puppet came back in with two people. One of them looked at me and said, "You are not going to make it out of here alive."