Chapter Forty

I stood up and crossed my arms. "Let us get two things straight, Mr. Hawk," I told him. "First of all, Dr. O'Connor is the good guy, and you are the bad guy here." I looked at the monsters with a sickening glare. "All of you."

"Margie—" Stanley began, but I continued on with my speech.

"Second of all, Dr. O'Connor is not the one who killed Lean. He would never kill anybody." I tried holding back tears and looked at the ground. "It...it was me."

"What do you mean?" Zeke wondered.

"...it is my fault. I...I killed her."

"Why do you think that?" Mr. Hawk asked.

"I felt sorry for her. I really did. She stated that she was blind."

"Oh, please," Tippy interrupted. "She is so overdramatic. She is not blind."

I nodded in agreement. "Lean even openly admitted that she was not blind. She just had a problem seeing things."

Why was I starting a conversation with these evil people?

"Wait a minute," Riley jumped in. "Lean actually confessed that she was not blind? To you?"

"Yeah. She said that she wanted to be honest with me."

"...well, that is a first."

"Uh, none of this tells us how you supposedly killed her," Sage spoke up. "Perhaps you can dwell on that."

I looked back up at the monsters and sighed. I did not want to explain myself again, especially the part where I might have caused Lean's downfall. I already explained it in full detail to Scarlett and Dr. O'Connor. Also, I was dealing with the bad guys. What would they do to me if I told them that I got rid of one of their own?

Torture me?

Kill me?

No, worse than that.

They would make me watch reality shows.

Ugh! The horror!

"I am not telling you," I stated proudly.

"Why not?" Tappy said.

"Is it not obvious? I know the truth. The whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Dr. O'Connor told me almost every single thing before I left for Forlot and when my sister, her friend, and I first arrived in Forlot."

"You listened to the bad guy!" Tippy suddenly exclaimed. "Never listen to the bad guy!"

"Do not play dumb with me!"

"You are dumb for believing such lies!"

"Enough!" Mr. Hawk halted our argument. "There shall be no arguing. There is just a misunderstanding." He turned to me. "I am curious, Margie, of what Dr. O'Connor said to you exactly. Could you please explain?"

"Gladly!" I proclaimed happily. I spilled out all of the information that Dr. O'Connor confessed to me yesterday.

The fact that he was a specialist who desires to help others.

What Forlot used to be, and what it really is today.

What he said about Mr. Hawk. That Mr. Hawk favors monsters over humans.

And to end on a small note...

"He is the Monster Protector too! And that makes sense! The Monster Protector helps people! Dr. O'Connor helps people! And he will stop you once and for all!"

Mr. Hawk chuckled.

"What is so funny? Do you really think that you will get away with your master plan?"

"I am sorry," Mr. Hawk apologized in between chuckles. "It is just...it is hard to take you seriously. What you are saying is plain ridiculous."

"It is the truth, and I am sticking to what is true."

"That is surprising because what you are sticking to is a lie."

"You are the one who is lying!"

Mr. Hawk lifted the side of his black jacket and pulled out a folder. "Margie, I am terribly sorry that I did not explain why I asked you to come here when we met personally."

I was not listening to him. I was wondering how the folder did not fall out of his jacket. I am wanting to know that as much as you readers do.

He handed the folder to me. "The information that I have given you should clear up on who actually is telling the truth."

"But I already know."

"I suggest that you read the information, Margie. You, as well as our fellow readers, might be in a huge surprise."

I rolled my eyes. I was not stupid. Dr. O'Connor was the good man, and Mr. Hawk was the bad man. Simple as that.

I opened the file and started reading it, when Mr. Hawk added, "By the way, you are the Monster Protector."