Chapter Forty-Three

"I...I do not understand," I managed to choke out.

"Of course not, you spoiled brat," Mrs. M. spoke in a low tone.

Spoiled?

Mrs. M. hurried towards Dr. O'Connor and hugged him tightly. "Hi, sugar! I missed you!"

"Hey, honey," Dr. O'Connor replied, smirking. He kissed her on the cheek.

She giggled. "Where is my beautiful granddaughter?"

"Why, she is right here." He turned his head and tilted it down. "Come out, sweetheart. Grandma wants to see you."

I gasped as Sarah appeared from behind the doctor. She had a sad look on her face.

And she was holding my crossbow.

How did she get ahold of my crossbow?!

"What the heck is going on here?!" I burst out in anger. I was feeling frustrated, and I wanted the answers.

"I would like to know also," Skippy agreed. "My friends and I never knew that Dr. O'Connor was married and had children."

"Oh, I knew all along," Mr. Hawk admitted. "From the very beginning when Dr. O'Connor began to be a threat."

"How?" I wondered.

"Through the documents that I planned on letting you see before Mabel ripped them to shreds. Themselves. Their daughter. And their granddaughter."

"The documents that you stole!" Mrs. M. scolded.

"It is not stealing if my friends and I are the good guys, and you and the people who work for Zeolex are the bad guys."

"That is not what Ms. Morgan thinks," Dr. O'Connor shot at Mr. Hawk as he looked straight at me.

"That is because you lied to her who you are, and she believed it because you convinced her," Mr. Hawk shot back.

"And it worked perfectly. She really thought that I was the Monster Protector and had a desire to help others." He flashed me a creepy smile. "The little fool."

I teared up. I was heartbroken. Who I thought was my friend was actually my enemy, and who I thought was my enemy was actually my friend.

I messed up. Big time.

And I was lied to. It hurt so much. Not physically, but emotionally.

Now I had an idea of how Scarlett felt when she found out that I lied to her.

"Watch your mouth, old man!" Stanley suddenly exclaimed angrily. He pulled me close. "Margie may have believed a villain, but she is no fool! She has a good heart and does not judge any people based on their outward appearances. If anyone is the fool, it would be you and your wife!"

I could feel my cheeks getting hot.

Get ahold of yourself, Margie.

"You watch your mouth, young man!" Mrs. M. stated. "Or I will have to wash your mouth out with soap - after we hypnotize you! Hahaha!"

"You are not hypnotizing anybody else," Mr. Hawk said, frowning.

Hypnotize?

"Now, honey. We did not come here to hypnotize them," the doctor told his wife. "We will soon. First thing is first though." He tightened his grip on my sister. "We must kill the Monster Protector."

My eyes widened. What did he just say?

"No!" Scarlett cried out. Tears streamed down her cheeks. "Please...do not kill my sister."

"Oh? Why not?"

"She...she is the only person left in my life. We love one another."

"I thought that you were mad at her."

Scarlett shook her head. "I was...but not anymore. It was wrong of her to lie, but she was looking out for me. And now that I know that she is the Monster Protector...if she had to come...then I am glad that both of us came to Forlot." She slightly smiled at me. "I love you, sis. I always will."

I glanced at her and tried to smile, but I still felt like an idiot. We were in danger, and it was my fault.

"Alright," Dr. O'Connor said. "We will not kill your sister."

"Y-you will not?" Scarlett choked out in disbelief.

"Nope. We will kill you instead."

Upon hearing that, my sister screamed in protest as the doctor brought the gun close to her chest.

"Sis!" I shrieked.

"Say goodbye to your dear sister, Margie," Mrs. M. said, giggling with glee.

"Scarlett!"

The next thing that I heard was a shot.

And a terrifying scream.