Well it is Missouri...

Chapter 1

I put down my pencil and turned in my last exam paper, I could finally breathe it was over. Winter break was here! I quickly collected my things and sped walked out of the auditorium with a smile on my face. I had to text my tutor Sara and let her know how it went.

To: Sara

Hhhheeeyyy I think it went well. Thanks for everything you did!

I meant it Sara was the best; she really went above and beyond for me. Not many tutors would stay up until three in the morning to study. Sara had been helping me for the past two years with all my math classes and now we were close friends. The day I got referred to Academic Affairs for being inefficient in College Algebra was a blessing in disguise. I do not think I would have made it without her.

Almost instantly, I got a reply back

Hey girly, no problem it's my job. Do you remember the questions you had trouble with? We can go over them tonight.

Ffffffuuuucccckk, I had completely forgotten that Nate and Josh invited us to their dorm tonight. Nate had just got a new anime movie, Your Name, which he wanted us to watch. I cannot believe I forgot! Nate had found some way to bring it up in every time we spoke, literally we could be talking about anything and he would turn the conversation into something about the movie. I could not miss tonight I would never hear the end of it.

To: Sara

Not really, I'm trying to block out all of Calc 3 at this point. I know I passed

"Bitch!"

I quickly turned around and speak of the devil- Nate appeared running in my direction. I first met Nate at orientation freshman year; we instantly hit it off; who would have thought a corny scavenger hunt that UMSL made us do would have actually ended in a friendship. But, here we were four years later with graduation right around the corner.

"NATE!" I screamed back.

"Are you ready!?" He was just as excited as a child at Christmas.

Acting as if I had no clue I said, "For"?

All happiness drained from his face.

"For the greatness movie that has ever graced our poor state! Remember! I drove two hours to see it on the big screen and it was worth it! You're going to love it!"

"I still can't believe you drove to Kansas City to see it".

Shrugging his shoulders he said, "Well, anything not to go home"

"Your mom still can't get over your liking for dick?" I rolled my eyes, and with a smile I looked up to him I knew I had pissed him off.

Damn it.

I made it awkward. I had been Nate's "beard" for three years after he came out to me. I played the perfect girlfriend even though his mom would have liked a blond, blue eye girl she got me a mocha skinned, black eye girl.

A couple weeks ago, we went to visit his mom in Flint Hill with Josh for Thanksgiving. I knew that they were together and it made me happy to know that they had found love with each other. Long story short the turkey wasn't the only thing getting stuffed and mama wasn't happy. She kicked us all out and had a few choice words for Nate. They haven't spoken since.