Graduation

Chapter 49

Jennifer

I cried most of the way home, we stopped at Heathrow and Nate came on the plane. I told him everything through tears; he listened and let me cry. When we got back to St. Louis Nate got us an Uber and we made our way back home. My parents were ecstatic to see me greeting me with hugs and kisses, I missed them too. I felt raw and numb I had no more tears to cry. My parents had redecorated my room. I went to bed replaying what happened and what could have made Adam do a 180 on me, on us.

Wwwwaaaaa wwwwaaaa

Jemma was up. I couldn't sleep so I went to her nursery and found my mom rocking her back to sleep.

"Where's Nancy?"

She jumped, "Jesus, you scared me. Nancy has the week off."

"Sorry, I'll make more of an entrance next time." I sat on the floor next to her rocking chair.

"You can't sleep too? Is it the time difference? We can get you some melatonin."

"No, I'm good just up", I said softly.

"What's wrong, baby? I can always tell when you're sad. Is it your room? The carpet will be put back--"

"No, it's not that. Boy troubles it's no big deal."

"That boy I saw from book club?"

"Yeah."

"He hurt you? I told your father not to let you go, that this would be a bad idea. But he changed my mind. Did he touch you?"

"Mommy, he was a perfect gentleman", I said not liking the conclusions she was jumping to.

"Then why so sad?" I moved closer to her and rested my head on her leg.

"Did you ever regret being with Dad? Even when Grandma cut you off", I said.

"Wow, umm no. I loved him then just as I do now. It didn't matter if he didn't have a penny into his name. Our love was enough for me. Plus, after many years Grandma did eventually get over it, because she wanted to be a part of your life."

"Would you ever do that to me?"

"No. Never I want my daughters to have love. I want them to be happy with whoever they choose."

"Can I tell you a hypothetical story?" I said looking up to her.

"Yes" I told her everything that happened to me excluding the sex and raunchy bits.

"Well this girl has been through a lot. She clearly cares for the young man. And the young man obviously still loves her. "

I had started to cry again, "Even when he said all those awful things."

"Baby, he called us and forgave your father's debt. He didn't demand anything he just wanted to make sure you were safe before you came home. He got you out of his world before it killed you. That's love. Sacrificing your wants for that of others. But, is that the kind of life you're ok with living? You have to take it all."

"Yes."

"Give it some time, first. Then if you still feel the same, I'll talk to your father. Deal?"

"Deal."I went back to my room with hope.

Adam

"Fuck off, Michael." I said pushing the treadmill harder. It had been months since Jennifer left and I was still hung up about her. Coming back to Main House was hard without her. I had got used to waking up with her, breakfast, texting; I had included her in everything so now the house just became a reminder of what I had given away.