Flashcards

Chapter 43

Adam

When I woke up the next morning Jennifer was gone, we stayed up most of the night talking.

Did she even sleep?

After I told her I didn't finish high school, she was determined for me to get my GED.

At least someone was.

I put on some pants and when into the kitchen to find her. She was with Nate and Kairi talking I stopped to listen to them.

"Because no child should be left behind that's why. We aren't doing anything else."

"And why is that?" Nate said

"What?"

"Why aren't we running away? This dude Sliske is gunning for them. Why are we getting involved in their drug war? He's the one who tried to blow you up. Her headphones are on, she's not listening." Nate finished gesturing to Kairi.

"I just want to help someone fulfill their potential."

"I know you do, but I'm looking out for you. What happens when we go home? Sliske doesn't seem like the type of man to just give up on revenge. What about your family? They don't have safe houses and protocols for deranged killers?"

"I called them again this morning and told them to be on the lookout. My Dad is not going to let anything happen, and we are safe here." She said.

"Why, because the drug lord says so? In any other circumstance Adam would be a cool dude he likes soccer and is into you. But, he kidnapped you to begin with and now you're getting all Stockholm syndrome on me. I'm worried about you. The more you stay here the more you're getting involved and that's dangerous. When people are ready to kill you because you're on the wrong side."

"Sliske won't be problem for much longer Brandon is still in his system. He will find something to send him to jail like all the others or find something to turn the other houses against him. Those bombs were a desperate attempt to intimidate us. "

"Not us! Them."

"I'm not just going to turn tail and run. I'm done with that. I want to know who's playing both sides. My moneys, on Jason."

"See, involved again!"

Kairi spoke, "Can I have more Apple juice?"

"Yes, you may", I heard the refrigerator open.

Nate started again," I'm just being..."

She cut him off, "Child in the room. So, are you going to help with GED studying or sit there and be sour?"

"Fine, but I get to teach the way I want to, without your judgment."

I was done eavesdropping and walked into the kitchen.

Kairi asked, "Can I help?"

"Help with what?" I said

"Good morning", Jennifer said with a smile, I've missed that.

Kairi said, "With your flashcard for school." I walked over to the island counter.

What the hell?

There had to be over a hundred flash cards scattered about I looked to her, hoping to God that these weren't for me.

"These are for you "she said cheerfully." Nate and I decided which subjects we will be helping you with. We're both bio major's so we can both help you with science., I will do the math and writing. As Nate did better in history than me he's going to lead on that. social studies and reading. Kairi is your cheerleader."