Money Problems

Chapter 3

My mother dismissed Nancy for the rest of the night. And as she walked towards the door I felt like I lost my greatest ally in whatever situation this was. As the door closed shut, I felt fear.

My mother reached out for me wanting to pull me in for a hug but I resisted. She pulled me closer to her anyway. She kissed the top of my head and I felt something wet.

Tears. Why? 

I hugged her back. Smothered and a little panicked, I asked her, "What's going on?"

She pulled away from me and sat down on the bed next to me. I waited for her to start talking, I took one of her hands and gave it a little squeeze to nudge her along. She composed herself and with shaky words repeated that she was sorry, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you better, please forgive me one day". Wild-eyed I told my mom, "There's nothing to forgive".

"Let me finish, Jennifer".

"OK".

"Your father has run into some money problems. You know that I told you today that he just got a promotion." I nodded yes. "Well it came with a bit of debt" she said unable to look me in the eyes.

"How much is a bit of debt? In a couple of days I will have my bachelor's degree I can help." I would have to find a job but I could help. The plan was to be a doctor but I can always work in a lab somewhere if we need the extra cash.

Smiling sadly my mother turn to me and said, "Unless you can make 12 million in a year this has to happen."