Always Here

Chapter 27

Seeing Adam walking towards the car I unlocked his door. He quickly got in and we took off like a bat out of hell I quickly put on my seatbelt. I turned to look at him, "What happened?"

"Nothing, I got the tree."

"Okay, now you're being a terrible liar. What really happened?"

"I paid that employee to keep his mouth shut, and then notified our security to come back to Main House."

"Where are they now?"

"La Petite Ardoise, it's a small restaurant in Fontainebleau. I thought you would like it, something to make up for the other night."

"You shouldn't be the one apologizing; I was the one being a brat." I took one of his hands off of the steering wheel and kissed the center of his hand and then he placed his hand on my thigh resting it there. He drew a small circle with his thumb. I parted my legs slightly. "You're playing a dangerous game, love".

Before I could reply the cars phone when off and the car filled with Michael's voice, "Hey, you get laid? Brandon told me to call."

"Michael you're on the car speaker, Jen is here too". Adam kept his hand on my leg.

"Hey little thing, did you like Adam's date? I told him to pick better. But, dose he listen? No--"

"I shot Sliske" I said.

Michael went deadly silent.

Adam spoke, "He's not dead, she got him in the foot".

"Should we be preparing for retaliation?"

"Yes, I want Main House locked down and any drops planned for tonight cancelled. No one moves product."

"Done" and with that Michael hung up.

"I'm sorry"

"Why? You did what anyone being backed into a corner would do. It's what I would have done."

"I'm hurting your business and putting people in danger. If anyone gets hurt to night it's because of--"

"Don't, don't do that. IF and that's a big if, if something happens it's because of Sliske, not you."

"What happens when we get to the house?"

"We go on lockdown for the night."

"In the basement?" I couldn't hide the panicked pitch in my voice.

"Yes unfortunately, but you won't be alone" he gave my thigh a squeeze "I'll be with you the whole time. I won't leave you."

"Really?"

"My word is my bond" I smiled at that and settled into my seat.

When we reached the house Adam drove past the front entrance and into the underground basement, he pulled into an empty space and parked. "Can I have the gun back?"

"We need to talk about that. You've been carrying this for how long?"

"Since you put it in my hands"

"Let me keep it just for tonight?" Panic played across my face.

That's the only thing keeping me safe!

"I know, you don't want to but, I can't have you accidentally shooting someone. Just for tonight I'm going to be your safety net."

"Just for tonight?"

"Yes, plus you don't want to scare Kairi?"

"Right". We exited the car and Adam came to my side immediately. We held hands and walked past the spot where it happened. I stared down and stopped.