Give Me a Break!

Chapter 44

Jennifer

We made our way to the airport with light conversation. Adam finally caved and we did all the flashcards. It was a good distraction until it was gone. I texted Nate and told him what happened. He was worried but understood, why we were leaving. After the three hour drive we made it to the airport. Adam drove onto the tarmac straight into a cargo plane. Michael was waiting for us against his car. Adam parked and I got out, thankful to stretch my legs. I was going to go outside and ask Michael what he was doing here when Adam stopped me. "You can't just walk outside, it's not safe."

Before I could even reply Michael walking up the ramp to us," Thank, sweet Jesus, Mom saw the hit in time."

"What? Why is your Mom looking at contract kills?"

"Oh, she does that every morning to make sure nobody's trying to kill Rodger" he said like it was a known fact and normal.

"I'm sure that list is long." I said.

"Yeah it is, if anyone is going to take him out it's going to be Mom, then Adam, Brandon, then me, in that order."

Rubbing his templates Adam said," What are you doing here?"

"Just because we're at a Safe House doesn't mean I can't do my job. I was in the neighborhood anyway so here I am" Michael said casually.

Adam was aggravated, "This isn't a game Michael people are going to actually be coming for us and not in the passive way we're used to. There won't be any jail time or shipments lost, people are going to die and I can't protect you if you come."

"Good thing I'm not her then, I don't need your protection. I've been by your side for every challenge I'm not going to stop now just because Sliske is involved. I'm not stupid I know how this ends."

How exactly does this end? I die. Adam starts a drug war. Which will most likely end up killing him and everyone else? Or Sliske dies and there's a vacuum for power and who knows the next person could be even worse than Sliske. If Brandon doesn't find out who the mole is we could still have a problem.

"Don't worry your pretty little head." Michael said hooking arms with me, "We've been through worse and we've always come out on top, little thing."

Adam went and talked to the pilot letting him know that we were ready to take off. The back of the plane closed throwing us into darkness with only little holes for light. I walked to one and put my finger through it.

Bullet holes? Big fucking bullet holes.

The plane lights kicked on and Adam saw what I was doing. "This is a cargo plane it normally carries 20 men and about 30 tons of product. Sometimes, there are disagreements."

"Getting shot out of the fucking sky is a little bit more than a disagreement," Michael said. "Help me tie the car down." Michael handed me ratchet strap with a hook around it. I tried to mimic what he was doing but I was failing.

"Not bad, love but let me tighten it up for you." That made me smile. How many times did my Dad say the exact same not to hurt my feelings.

"Thank you, for fixing my mess up."

"That's what I'm here for" Adam said. I watched him as he fixed the tire chain. The plane started to move and we went back to our seats, I sat between Adam and Michael. Putting on the harness seat belt I tried to sit back and relax. It was going to be a long flight.

Vvvzzzttt, Vvvvzzzztt+

It was Adam's phone he picked it up and I only heard one side of the conversation.