I was a Beyoncé song

Chapter 24

9:09pm I'm two hours late.

I quickly scurried into the restaurant with Thomas and a whole security team behind me. The security personnel fanned out around the venue and took up their positions. The building looked Greek  with its high ceilings and tall pillars. The whole place screamed you had to have a reservation five months in advance. I quickly walked up to the hostess, as I came closer she said, "Mrs. Caffery?"

"That's me, or soon to be".

She snapped her fingers and a boy came and took my coat. He did quickly; I said thank you and the woman led me into the restaurant through arched doors. The room was dimly lit with only candles, a huge golden chandelier hung from a dome shaped ceiling. It looked like it had been inspired by the Sistine Chapel with painted ceilings . There was no one here and there had to be about 30 tables all empty. The restaurant had two levels and the woman led me to the top floor. The whole back wall was windows giving a beautiful view of Paris at night. There was even a small balcony on which I saw Thomas keeping guard. The woman motioned for me to take a seat at the only table on this level. I did and said, "I know I'm a little late but did anyone else show up before me?"

"No mademoiselle, you're the first to arrive. Can I get you anything to drink while you wait? Wine or water?"

"Thank you, I would like that anything that's as sweet as a Moscato."

"Right away, I'll have the staff bring something special out." They did and it was sweet like strawberries in sugar. One glass turned into another and another so on, until I told the waiter to just leave the bottle.

Where is he?

I ran my finger around the wine glass rim.

He's stood me up

I looked over to a grandfather clock 11:48pm. I started to think what Nate would say if I could tell him. He would go completely off on one.

Feeling all kinds of embarrassment I decided to take the bottle and some glasses and go out on to the balcony with Thomas and the other members of my protection detail. I wobbled a little on my way.

Tipsy, you're tipsy.

Pushing the door open I announced, "Hello, boys." I went around and gave the three men a glass full of wine. "Yeah, yeah, yeah I know you're not supposed to" I motioned around "Look no one's here".

They all look to each other and decided to sip the drink, "That's more like it!" I said as I drank out of the bottle. "Well guys, I'm calling it. I've been totally stood up."

Looking a little lost for words Thomas said, "I'm sure he's on his way ma'am just got caught with some last-minute things".

"Thomas are you married, or do you have a girlfriend or boyfriend?"

"Yes ma'am, I have been married four years come June."

"Now you tell me, if you were four hours late for a date that you set up with no phone call. Your wife sitting in an empty restaurant; you're telling me she wouldn't be mad? You could just go about your day no problems?"

"I reckon she'd tear him a new one" one of the other security guards said chuckling. The other guard said, "She'd do more than that".

"Exactly" I said. Thomas stayed silent. I spun around clumsily and went back to my table and waited for the waiter to come back. I paid for my drinks with the card Adam gave me and left a huge tip.

I made my way out of the restaurant and started to walk through the streets. Thomas wanted me to get into the car but I was so hot and I didn't want to sit in the car. I was drunk, pissed and embarrassed. Thomas walked next to me and the three cars followed next to us. I walked until I found a nightclub and decided to go in. It was underground and crowded, there was an electric atmosphere in the air. The whole night club had a good party vibe: music blasting from wall to wall and the DJ was a little too into his job, but still had the place moving. The strobe lights moved in time with the music.

 I was just about to walk out onto to the dance floor when Thomas grabbed my arm and said "I don't think this is a good idea, ma'am. It's going to be hard to keep you safe with so many people crammed together."

"Thirty minutes and then we'll go home, I promise" not liking that Thomas let go of my arm and I bolted for the dance floor.

Despacito by Luis Fonsi had just started to play and I bounced, and moved to the beat lost in the music. A guy come up to me and started to dance behind me. I was too drunk to care but he was very handsy. I knocked them away every time he tried to get close. After a few minutes of dancing he leaned over in my ear and said something in French, I leant back yelled in his ear "American, English!!"

He nodded and said, "What's your, name beautiful?"

"Jen, what's yours?"

"Harry"

"Like from One Direction?!"

"Yeah! Jell-O shot?

"Yes!" I lost count of how many Jell-O shots I took. I could hear Nate's voice ringing in my head that this was a bad idea.

We danced for a few more songs' then Thomas pulled my arm again, "Times up ma'am, we should get moving".

"Hey, let the lady decided for herself."

"I don't know you, but you need to back off. Ma'am, we need to go" Thomas wasn't playing. The two men sized each other up. If they were going to fight Thomas was going to win. Harry was skinny with a runner's body. Thomas was built like a tank ready for war. I stepped back and let the two men argue. I swayed to Champagne For The Pain by Niykee Heaton. In that moment, the song felt like it was written for me. The club bouncer started to make his way over to us because of the standoff. I backed up more trying to remove myself from the situation. In the crowd of dancers somebody's hands roughly grabbed me and dragged me to the exit.

Adam.

I tried to pull away from him, but he was stronger than me.

"I am not in the mood! Get in the car, NOW!"

"No! Why even be nice to me if you're going to turn around and be an ass. You've fucked up my life. I'll never be able to wear heels again."

He turned around confused by my last statement and looked at me and said, "I didn't do anything you. You agree to all of this. I won't say it again, now get in to the car or I'll carry you to it."

"You wouldn't dare!" He picked me up and threw me over his shoulders. Adam had done it so quickly that I felt like I was going to be sick.

"THOMAS LETS GO!" Adam shouted angrily.

I tried to kick back, but he slapped my butt.

"Hey!"

He carried me out of the nightclub and put me in the back of one of the SUVs.

"I can't believe how irresponsible you're being!" He said as he slammed the car door. Not caring I opened the car door again and stepped out of the car. The alcohol had finally caught up with me and ran to the nearest trash can and threw up everything I had in me.

I heard Nate's voice in my head say,' I told you'.

I lifted my head out of the trash can and turned to face Adam. Breathing heavily I said "I wasn't afraid before I met you. I was strong and independent! I was a Beyonce song! But now, now..." I was sick again. Coming back up for fresh air I told him, "I can't believe I started to like you. I should have just stayed on that damn floor and had my panic attack. Let the fear win but, nnnnoooo".

His face softened, "Love, you had a panic attack?"

Hysterical, I yelled, "Don't change the subject, Mr. Sexy!"

Gently, he pulled me against him.

"You smell good" I said.

I don't remember much after that. Somehow we made it back to the house. As soon as my body hit the soft bed I was out like a light.