Caffery

Chapter 5

I strutted a little too hard down the stairs and tripped on the last step, falling belly first onto the marble floor. Hoping that no one heard or saw I got back up and silently walked to the kitchen. As soon as I walked into the room Ross and James turned to look at me. James stood and gave me his seat. I meekly sat down thanking him. I couldn't help but feel that all eyes were on me.

Trying to break the ice I said, "So did you see that Cardinals game?"

 My Dad gave me a confused look,"Jen, it's December". 

Ross pulled an iPad out of his briefcase and put it in front of me. He selected a app. The iPad took my picture. And when I asked where the photo was being sent they told me not to mind.

I realized that this was some kind of Skype call. Somebody was watching me but I couldn't see them. Ross handed me the iPad he then cleared the room. No way, this is one of those moments I wanted my parents around. 

I looked to my Dad for help and he quietly said, "It's going to be okay he just wants to talk to you." 

"Ok", I said cautiously.

They left and I was alone with the iPad.

A few minutes past with nothing and then the messenger app opened with the following text:

Good evening, Miss Faust

Ok, I can text 

Hello, stranger...umm I don't know what to say. You have done the unthinkable.

Do you know who I am?

No

I am Adam Caffery, you know my family .

Is that a statement or a question

Worried I might have pissed him off I quickly sent.

Yes, I do

Do you think this is a game?

Saying out loud to myself," Well, we are playing with a toy so..."

No Sir, I don't want to play with my Dad's freedom. I don't want to beat around the brushes. So lets cut the shit and get down to business. My father has an incredible amount of debt put on him and you're blackmailing him. What do I need to do to make the debt go away?

Immediately the camera opened up on his side and I was faced with a strong jaw line, emerald green eyes, and dark brown hair. This man looked like a Greek god and that was just his face I could only imagine the rest! I guessed he had to be around my age as well perhaps slightly older.

His voice snapped me out of my fantasy, "I need you."