Breathe

Chapter 20

The sound of her heels got closer. I decided to hide behind some boxes. A breathy vixen voice called out, "Did you like the letter? Boss never writes love notes anymore. Run, Run, Run. I know you are down here. If you come out now, I'll make this painless."

Bullshit

Bang! Bang!

She's shooting the keypads!

She was getting closer. I needed a plan.

Okay, I'm not Liam Neeson in Taken with a 'particular set of skills'. I'm not a badass spy like Jason Bourne. What do I have?

I have common sense, a biology degree and years of playing video games.

If I can beat The Evil Within games and the Uncharted games I could sneak past this woman.

I decided to open one of the air vents, and throw in my hoodie, and then I hid in one of the larger boxes.

Please, let this work.

She was now outside the door.

Bang! Bang!

Just breathe she'll take the bait.

She walked into the room with a flashlight. I couldn't see anything, but I smelled her perfume- strong lavender scent and heard her heels. She was right on top of me.

She walked passed my box to the vent.

"Clever girl, but you can't stay in there forever eventually you'll have to come out." She yelled down the vent. It sounded like she was trying to crawl into and down the vent.

Do I dare pop my head out of the box?

Gun ready, I did, her back was to me and I sank back down in the box to compose myself.

Ok ok think! What next? All the doors are locked because of the power outage. All I have is this floor and the garage. That's it! The cars! The beautiful bullet proof SUV's! I just had to make it there and lock myself in.

Bang! Bang!

She was shooting down the vent. I heard her start to take out her magazine.

Now!

I quietly popped out of the box and aimed my gun at her.

"Breathe, Jennifer you can do this" I heard my dad's voice; at that moment I was transported back in time to 14 year old me. I saw my Dad in his full camo gear right next to me on the ground, trying to line up my gun. "Breathe and shoot, if you take too long that buckle will get away".

"I know, Daddy" I said annoyed.

Bang!

My gun jilted me back to reality.

I got her in the fucking shoulder. Now, RUN!

She was charging towards me with a crazed look in her eyes. I aimed my gun up again and this time I got her in the leg and bolted for the door.

"Run, run, run little girl when I get my hands on you your going to wish you used that gun on yourself!"

Running in a zigzag motion, I heard her gaining speed behind me.

Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!

Was she the fucking Terminator!

I sprinted down the stairs to the car key rack.