He Better Be Your Sugerdaddy

Chapter 30

Jennifer

"Well", Nate said waiting for an answer. I looked to Adam for help not wanting to lie to Nate. He quickly came up next to me and pulled my waist close to him.

"Hi, I'm Adam Caffery, Jennifer's fiancé. I'm the one that flew you out here, and my brother met you half way." Adam extended his hand for a handshake. Nate wasn't going to shake his hand.

The two men size each other up, I could already tell Nate wasn't happy. Adam dropped his hand. "Perhaps we can continue this conversation in the house, my office?"

"Yes, let's do that" Nate said tightly. We walked up to Adams office in silence, I wanted to tell Nate everything but I could tell Adam was carefully monitoring the situation. Even if I did, I would be putting him in danger just like I in. When we reached Adams office I sat down on the couch and Nate sat next to me, giving me a look that said 'what have you done?' Adam went to his desk and leaned against the front of it. I became very hot and flustered remembering what had nearly happened on that desk.

"Stop eye fucking each other, and explain. You dropped off the face of the Earth and wound up in Paris, France with this random guy. Who claims he's your fiancé, but I know damn well he's not".

"Well, it's kind of a funny story you're going to laugh at this."

"I'm listening", Nate said.

"I'm getting married the day after Christmas" I said as happily as I could. I reach for Adam who came and sat by the arm of the couch next to me.

"Bullshit, you're not getting married. You've only kissed like two guys in your whole life." Nate said so matter-of-factly. I saw a hint of a smile from Adam.

Feeling embarrassed I said," Well it is happening. I found the love of my life and I'm going to spend the rest of my life with him. Isn't that right, Adam?"

"Absolutely" Adam said agreeing with me.

"I'm not talking to you, I'm talking to her."

"Nate! Be nice!" I said

"No, hell no! I have been staying at your parent's house and you haven't been there at all. You just disappeared and no one would tell me what happened to you. I went to the police nothing! It's like you never even existed, and no one was worried apart from me. Then these two guys drag me into a car and put me on a plane. Next thing, I know I'm in Dublin next to that dude Michael, who says he knows who you are, and he is going to take me to you. But, he didn't take me to you he took me to your so-called fiancé who put me in that car and told me to wait for you to come. I want real answers."

I know the feeling Nate be happy you weren't drugged like me. Looking at Adam and back to Nate I said," I don't know what else to tell you; I really am getting married."

"To him", Nate stated.

"Yes, to him", I said trying to calm him down.

"To me", Adam agreed.

"Where did you two meet?" Nate asked me.

"School", I said

"Really? What class", Nate questioned.

"Umm... Physics", I was getting nervous.

"Physics 1 or 2", Nate questioned.

I can't remember which class Nate and I took together. I guessed, "Physics 2?"

"That sounded like a question, Jennifer. Did you meet the love of your life in Physics 2?" He said it's so cynically, like he knew I was lying.

"Who was the teacher?"

I went to answer, but Nate cut me off and said, "Not you, him".

Adam was calm and collected, he answered so nonchalantly," I can never remember the professors names, but it was a man if that helps."

"What's your major?"

"Business with a minor in physics" Adam said.

"What part of Missouri are you from?" Nate was determined.

"St.Louis", Adam said quickly.

"What high school did you go to?"

"I didn't go to high school in Missouri I was in New York for high school."

"And you chose to go to what college again?"

"Missouri State" Adam said, so wrong.

I looked at him and said, "UMSL".

"Wrong, you're a better liar than Jen. But still a liar, you snake. So what's really going on here? Is he holding you hostage?"

"No!" I said.

Not anymore

"Then what's going on? You can tell me anything. I don't care what's happened I want to make sure you're okay, even if we have to fight a way out of here."

With sad eyes I looked to Adam pleading with him to let me tell him. And to my surprise he did. Adam left the room but yell back, "Same rules apply to him as they do to you".

I ran after him in the hallway and threw myself into his arms. He firmly kept me pressed against him I leaned up and kissed him I pulled away and said, "Thank you!" and rushed back to Nate who saw everything.

"He had better be your sugar daddy after all of this". We returned back to the couch and I told Nate everything, about the debt, the first night here, the basement and Sliske. Nate hung on every word and when I finally finished he said, "Damn".

"I know right."

"But, you're safe here? That guy can't get you in the house anymore. Especially, as you took care of that lady."

"I'm safe with Adam."

"So you're really going to marry him?"

"Yep , it's not bad being here. Adam is a good man."

"I don't know about that, this situation these people seem dangerous. I don't want you in the crossfire of whatever drug war is happening."

"Me too" I said meekly.

"Now that I'm here you're not alone! I'm on your side. You're my best friend I know you would move Heaven and Earth for me if I were in this situation. We'll get through this together. Just like how we got through Genetics."

I smiled and said, "It's late I'll show you to a room." I gave Nate the room next to mine and let him settle in for the night. I went to my room next and changed into a short nightgown. It was doing wonders for my body. Then went to the room next to Michael's and knocked. I waited for Adam, he opened the door looking like he had been sleep walking. He was only wearing pajama pants. But immediately came to life when he saw me. "Did I wake you up?" I asked in a whisper.

"Yeah, but it's ok. What's up?" He said leaning against the door frame.

"Can I sleep with you tonight?"