So No Nudes..

Chapter 16

"Hell no, not Monoprix!" Michael complained from the back seat. "Again fashion capital of the world and you want to go here". Adam gave Michael a dirty look, "She can go wherever she wants to." "Whatever peasants, I'll stay in the car for this one." Not caring what he thought I got out of the car and started to walk in when I noticed Adam was coming up behind me with Thomas. 

A little shocked and raising an eyebrow in disbelief. I said, "You want to come in?"

"Yes, it'll give us a chance to talk."

Continuing walking I said, "Because I'm meeting your mother tonight. You left that part out this morning. I'm not complaining I just wish I had more time to prep".

"Prep?"

"Yeah preparation? No matter what I want your mom to like me. We may not be a real couple, but in her eyes we are. I'm not going to be the one that breaks her heart when she finds out what her son has been up to. I'm going out on a wild guess and say she doesn't know the full extent of your business ventures."

He didn't say anything.

I'll take that as a yes.

I turned to Thomas and said, "Where are the buggies."

"The what?" Adam questioned, now confused myself I said, "The buggies?"

Thomas leaned over and whispered something into Adams ear.

"Ooooo, a cart"

"You're American  , how can you not know what a buggy is", I asked.

He shrugged.

Finding the carts I started to walk down the aisles. Adam walked right next to me.

"So are you going to call her?" I asked.

"What?"Breathing out sharply I said, "The girl from the shop she gave you her number."

Grinning he said, "You saw that?"

How the fuck could I miss it I was standing right there. Did he think I was blind?

I said, "Kind of hard to miss?"

"Mrs. Caffery, if I didn't know any better I would say you're jealous."

A light bulb went off in my head.

Oh my God I'm jealous.

"Keep dreaming, I am just curious. Not to brag or anything, but I am an excellent match maker", I started to think back to Nate and Josh. It took two months of me building up Nate's confidence for him to finally ask Josh out. When he finally did, I had a feeling it would last forever.

He stopped my cart, and put the phone number in my hand, "I barely have time for my fiancé, and I highly doubt I'll have time for a girlfriend." Giving him a sarcastic look I tore the paper up into little pieces and threw it in the trash. Feeling accomplished, I led us to the second floor where the hygiene products were located. After, an hour and 45 minutes we were finally checking out.

Doing some mental math I calculated in my head the total should run around €323.

As Thomas and I loaded the conveyor belt I said to myself 323.

"What?"

Realizing that I had spoken out loud I said,"323 should be total or at the least very close."

Amusement played across Adams face, "Let's see if you're right."

The grand total came up to be €323.09.

Damn, so close

Impressed he said, "You just rattle off numbers in your head?"

"Yep, I'm one of the few people that actually like math. You should know remember, I told you in our interview that I had minored in math. I was off by 0.027%. I would count that as a win."

Thomas loaded the purchases into the car, Adam looked at me and said, "So if I told you 1€ equals $1.19 ..." Not letting him finish his sentence I said "I would owe you $384.39 for all my purchases."

As we settled into the car he pulled out the calculator app on his phone and checked my math. "Damn, you're a human calculator" holding up his phone showing me the exact number. He rattled off some more numbers for me to calculate and everytime I nailed it. "When I looked at your Facebook and Instagram accounts I would have never thought you would have been intelligent".

What the fuck did that mean?

"Excuse me?"

"Peasants, you've returned. What took so long I was about to call an Uber to get out of here. We still need to get Kairi". We rode in silence for a little bit until I couldn't hold my tongue anymore "No seriously, what the fuck does that mean? And how are you even able to see my Facebook or Instagram; all of my online profiles are private?"

Michael perked up in the backseat clearly excited for a possible fight. "It doesn't take a genius to make them un-private", he said bluntly.

Michael leant forward in between us, "No, way! You got Brandon to Facebook stalk your future wife. What did he find anything good- a sex tape or nudes?"

"Go fuck yourself, Michael", I said.

"That's exactly what I'll do as soon as he shares links", Michael said confidently.

"Do I really look like the type of person to make a porno and post it online?"

Reverently making the sign of the cross Michael said, "I pray to any God that is listening, please let it be true".

"And fuck you, Adam. You had no right to--"

Rudely cutting in Adam said, "I have every right. Until your father's debt is paid you are mine. Just because you haven't broken any laws doesn't mean you're clean. The best way to get to know someone is through the persona they throw out into the world."

Defeated Michael said, "So no nudes?"

Annoyed with both of us Adam turned and said, "No, just a lot of selfies and memes. From what I saw there was nothing risqué so why even get upset". 

"Because it's an invasion of privacy and it's creepy. Do you watch women sleep from your favorite peeping' bush too?" 

"I don't need one seeing as you like to run around the house naked anyway", Adam said. I gave him a dirty look crossing my arms and legs. I can't believe I actually started to let myself tolerate him.

Silently we arrived at the dance studio. "So just to be clear, I shouldn't waste any time looking for nudes on the internet", Michael said, rolling my eyes I muttered pig under my breath.