Chapter 20

A teacher walked in, and it’s Adam’s mom again. Weird, normally on Friday, we have biology on the first period, not music. Maybe she substitutes every single living teacher in this school? Possibly.

              “I’ve got some explaining to do, so please pay attention to every word I say.” She said. “The teacher’s council have decided that this month, starting from the first week of April ending on the last week, starting from the 1st of April until the 30th of April, we will have a Performing Art Month. Which means that each one of you should perform anything that falls under the category of performing arts. I suggest that you do musical things rather than acting or whatever since we have music classes included in the curricular activities, consulting to me, as long as it is still school time, won’t be charged.”

I could see from that Adam just rolled his eyes, maybe totally irritated of what his mother just said. She continued to babble something which I thought was important but I was too busy thinking about something else that I didn’t listen to anything she was saying.

              “Alright, the teacher’s council has decided who will be your teammates, and the list is outside, please try to be calm in looking at the list, since this is a hotel, where there are people who might be disturbed with your actions if you don’t behave.”

We immediately rush our way out of the room and to the lobby which there stands a board with lists of our names in groups. As I make my way to the lobby I felt a gush of electricity through my body. I don’t know what am I nervous about, but I know that today won’t just be the day that I am grouped or something, I got a feeling that something big and horrible is going to happen.

When I got there, everything is just a mess, everyone wants to be the first one to see their name, to see with whom they are with. Everything is just so chaotic, they scream, they shout, the push. I even saw a girl jumping on top of another girl’s shoulder. She then elegantly strikes her down until the other girl lies helplessly on the floor. People realising that she has the capability like a tigress they make way for her. She then smirked a bit and walked up the aisle that has been made for her. She runs her hand down through several names and she stops. A devilish smile forms at her face, she then sighs and made another dramatic exit, she entered her class leaving us in great sea of confusion.

The chaotic rise back, and without any hope getting in front of the line, I left my friends and head back to the room. As I entered the room, I saw Adam sitting on his chair, I saw his eyes closed and I feel that he’s thinking about something. I took a seat nearest to him and rest my head on his shoulders. 

I closed my eyes and I flew away, away from the chaotic moment that is still happening outside. I picture myself lying on a beach. Crystal clear sand beneath me. I turn finding Adam on the right, my friends on the other. I wish that I could have that beautiful moment, I heard the sound of the waves, I didn't hear people screaming like I heard in the lobby, everything was just silent, everything was peaceful. Everything was just so tranquil, was. Meaning that, now it's almost impossible to find beaches as beautiful as the dream. Almost impossible, NOT impossible. There was a beach that wasn't as tranquil, but has the same physical appearance, white sandy beaches, great waves which makes the most tempting waves for surfers, now that beach isn't beautiful as it was, humans, us cause great destruction, everything now is just dirty and no longer appealing, the natural ecosystem has been destroyed, its toxic water, no longer sustainable, we, humans chose to leave that island, we didn't pick our responsibility, instead we left it alone, destroyed, harmful and hazardous to us. Once, people dreamt about going to Hawaii, now, people no longer talk about it, because it's considered as a dark past.

People now think that thinking about the past is a weakness and it makes us afraid to go to the future. I think that the past is useful in order to achieve anything in the future, our ancestors has done something for us to learn about, so that we know what's good and what's bad to do. The past has created an example for us, so mistakes can be minimized and the thing the has been considered as what can make us better can be optimized.