Chapter 23

He lead us into another room, he took a seat in one of the chair, which seems pretty comfortable. My friends took the other three seats and I took the one opposite direction of Adam's so I was seating face to face with him. What separates us was just a table low enough that can be used as a footrest. But neither of us put our legs on it. Neither of us breaks the silence and several minutes later he bent his bend down to open the table. I didn't realize that it could be open. He pulls out a folder with ‘CONFIDENTIAL’ written on it with red ink. He flips to the pages and stopped at one of the pages. He clears his throat and he looked at me. No words could come out of my mouth. I could see the tension in his face, on my three best friend’s face.

He looked at my friends, back at me, back to my friends and he nods.

"It's time" he told them

"Time?" I asked "Time for what?"

He closed the folder and Mara stood up.

"It's time to tell you the truth, and by the truth I mean the whole truth." He said. "And it's also time for you to explain whatever you want to explain to us."

Silence pass between us, I wanted to ask and tell something, but no words couldn’t come out of my mouth. I just didn’t know how to ask them.

              “I want to know what’s going on.” I asked finally breaking the silence.

              “Well, there’s so much to explain, how do I put this?” Adam said. “The whole agency is bringing you down.”

              “Bringing me down? As in hunting me down?” I asked.

              “Yes.”

              “Why?” I asked.

              “You were believed to have powers like you ancestors.” Mara said.

              “Ancestors? What are you talking about?”

              “Your ancestors are believed to have certain abilities to” Adam explained.

              I held my hand up giving a signal to make him stop, “Let me guess, levitate, say anything about the future, and it would actually happen, go invisible, have visions?” I interrupted.

              “Yes, each of them has one, that’s why we are always watching you, because people like you could be dangerous yet helpful.” He said.

              “But my mom, she never used her powers? How possibly could you know if she even has it?” I asked.

              “She’s smart enough to hide it, but how hard you try to hide it, well, we’ll now eventually.” Patricia said.

              “Fine, but I want to see her, I need to see her” I told them, “I need to ask her something.”

              “I don’t see that we can fulfill whatever you’re asking.” Joy adds.

              “What are you talking about?” I asked “I want to see her.”

              “We’ve got a little situation.” Adam said.

              “What do you mean by that?” I asked, laughing a bit. I tried to be serious, but all this and all that, I just can’t put it all together.

              “The agency or agencies had sent several agents to your house to get whatever information they can get about you.” Patricia said.

She was about to say something else, but I cut her off, “Well, what will they do if my parents won’t tell them anything?” I asked. Well, it was a dumb question; I know what they’re going to do, kill them, simple as that. They’ve got the info from my friends and Adam, those traitorous little brats. “I mean, why go all the way to my house to get to my parents just to know more about me, it isn’t that they didn’t know anything about me?” I look to Adam, Joy, Mara, and Patricia, scanning their eyes and immediately I know something was off. It’s like they could hide anything from me, well, they’re trained to, but I could sense it that something was terribly off.

              “Anything you want to tell me?” I asked.

Adam shrugs a little, and then he opens his mouth. I was expecting some scientific explanation coming out of his mouth, but nothing, as soon as he opened it, he closes it immediately.

              “What were you trying to say?” I asked leaning forward a bit towards him while narrowing my eyes.

              “Nothing.”

              “Really, because you know what I’d really like?” I said with full confidence as if I’m their boss and I’m trying to make them have a hard time. “I’d really like to know” I paused for a second. I would like to say WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON. But that would be rude so I calmed myself down and continued, “I’d really like to know what is going on.”

              “The reason that they’re going to your parent’s place is because we never report anything to them.” Joy said. “We wanted to but we can’t, after all the times that we’ve been through, we thought that we can’t do whatever that we were asked to do.”

              “You betrayed your…” I asked in disbelief

              “Yes, we did.” Mara interrupted me. “I heard once that trust needs to be earned, and yes, we did earn your trust, you tell us secrets, and yes you did earn our trust, we told you secrets.”

              “WELL, NOT THIS ONE!” I shouted standing up, everyone else does. We move to a certain spot where there are no chairs and tables. Adam standing in front of me, while everybody else stands beside me.

              “Calm down” Patricia said “We didn’t tell the agency anything about you because you have been someone special in our lives, we just didn’t want to break that friendship of ours and ruining the bond that we’ve made.”

              “You see know that there’s nothing to be afraid of, we’re going to be always there for you no matter what.” Mara said.

              “After few years of non-reporting mission, our ‘boss’ thought it’s wasting him time, he’s certainly losing money, because of all the corrupt agents standing on his way, he wanted to make a change so he wanted to do a little research on you, a little experiment, that’s why he sent Adam. Yes, he’s Mary Murphy’s son, but he’s supposed to be in West Virginia, with his father, who happens to be another agent. He’s sent here to study you, that explain his feelings for you. It’s supposed to distract you to make you show your powers within you, and he’s done a very good job, except, the problem is, he never did report.” Joy said.

My heart sank after hearing Joy’s explanation. He’s just another guy who’s trying to bring me down. How can I be this foolish?

              “But I always take this relationship seriously, at first I’m just someone who is trying to do his job, but suddenly it’s all different with you, everything just seems so new to me.” Adam said.

              “And your point is?” I asked raising an eyebrow.

              “My point is, Sydney Levine, I’m in love with you”

I could feel the heat at my cheeks and I could feel it burning. I’m sure I’m blushing, but I didn’t care.

              “Prove it.” I challenged him

I swear I could hear my friends laughing trying not to make any sound, scared that it would ruin our perfect moment.

              “You don’t think I dare?” He asked

I shake my head and he smiles, he leans forward, settles his hands on my hips and presses his lips against mine, and I swear it was the best feeling I’d ever had. Yet.