V.

Disclaimer: The Harry Potter World belongs to J.K. Rowling.

*

CHAPTER V.

"Reg?"

"Here," Regulus said, peering over the bookshelf to find Reia, "There you are. I've been sitting at the other side for the past hour, thinking you'd forgotten to come."

"I wouldn't," Reia said with a smirk.

"Uh-huh," Regulus said dryly, "Like you didn't forget three times."

"Hey, that was two years ago," Reia protested indignantly, though her eyes were sparkling, "Don't hold that against me."

Regulus just shrugged, "I wasn't. Now, come on—we need to work on our assignment."

Reia sighed, "I really don't care about Transfiguration anymore, Regulus. I mean..."

"Yes, I know," Regulus said, "I don't want to do it either, to be honest. But we've both agreed that we'd both study to become aurors—and in order to become aurors we need really good grades. In everything."

"Did I tell you how much I hate it when you're right?" Reia grumbled as she went over to join Regulus on the other side of the bookshelf.

"No," Regulus retorted, "Though you've told me almost everything else."

Reia tsked, "Not everything, Mr. Black. No lady would spill all of her secrets to you."

"But you are no lady," Regulus said with a wry smile, "Anyway, take this book. Read it, take notes, and we'll collaborate on writing the essay with the information."

"Alright, fine," Reia said with a groan, "But I'll only study with you for an hour. After that, we're going to relax, okay?"

"We can go for a walk around the castle before dinner," Regulus suggested, "But we need to study first."

"Alright, alright, fine. Be quiet, would you?"

Reia got silence in return—which she took as a 'yes'.

***

"Lucius!" Reia exclaimed when she whipped around, "You're here?"

Lucius gave her a pointed glance, "Do you think I'm here?"

"But you—I thought you were with Cissa?" Reia asked, glancing towards Narcissa Black, who was sitting with her sister, Andromeda.

Narcissa didn't seem to have heard them.

"Yeah, I was—but it's only breakfast. We're going for a walk after classes today." Lucius said, raising his brows, "Anything else you need to proclaim?"

"No," Reia said dryly, "I was just wondering, Malfoy."

"Well, then, Lupin—,"

Just then, hundreds of owls flew into the Great Hall—and a familiar raven-feathered owl landed in front of Reia, squawking as it lifted its leg—which had a letter attached to it.

"Hey, Ray," Reia said conversationally as she removed the letter from the owl's leg and gave Lucius Malfoy a glare, "What news have you got for me today?"

The owl just squawked and stared at her, as if to say: It's not like I can talk. Don't ask me.

Reia smiled, but it disappeared from her lips when she read the contents of the letter.

Her face paled, and she clenched her fists.

Reia,

You have not been good. You have been around those Slytherin students again; Remus has informed us of your unacceptable friendship with them.

They are not good people, Reia. They will turn against you and you will regret ever having trusted them. Do not turn into one of them.

Stay away from the Slytherins. Stay close to your brother—he will take care of you.

Try to be more like Remus. He is your brother; he will not lead you astray.

Do not allow anything to distract you from your schoolwork.

You must understand that we don't want you to be friends with those Slytherins.

Stay away from them.

Lyall and Hope Lupin

Reia growled, "Stay away. Like I'd ever listen to you."

She ripped her quill and ink from her bag and dipped the tip into the pot.

She wrote at the bottom of the letter, on the small space remaining:

My dearest Mother and Father,

You forget that I am a Slytherin. I am not my brother.

Reia Lupin.

Forcefully, she rolled the parchment up and tied it back onto Ray's foot and said, "You know where to go."

The owl squawked in agreement before it took off once more.

Perhaps it was rude of her—but her parents had always loved their Remus.

They'd used to treat Reia like a daughter. But after Reia was sorted into Slytherin, they started treating her like a burden.

"What is wrong?" Regulus asked quietly, squeezing Reia's hand comfortingly.

"Just my parents," Reia said through gritted teeth as she wiped her face of any emotion, "I can deal with it."

"What did they say?" Regulus asked, concerned.

Reia sighed, "The usual. Telling me to stay away and everything."

"Oh," Regulus said, releasing her hand.

Her hand suddenly felt cold and empty.

"Well, don't doubt yourself," Regulus said simply, "I cannot give you an answer. But make your own choices, Reia. Be wise. Be fair to yourself and your parents."

In answer, Reia took his hand in hers, and raised her eyes to meet his gaze.

And when he smiled at her, she'd never felt so thankful for his friendship.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading! Check out my other works, which you can find on my profile. Do vote or leave a comment to let me know if you liked this chapter!

<3