XXXI.

Disclaimer: The Harry Potter World belongs to J.K. Rowling.

*

CHAPTER XXXI.

"This will not happen again," Dumbledore said firmly, "Every student suspected of having connections to Death Eaters will be closely monitored, and all dorms and Common Rooms will be protected by impenetrable charms. Now that I know that even those who are not Death Eaters as of yet are being targeted..." He gave Josie a glance, "Be careful, students."

The Slytherin students involved in the incident—including Josie, Lucius, Regulus and Reia, were seated in the Headmaster's Office, getting a stern talking-to from the Headmaster.

"Professor."

Josie had spoken up, her eyes downcast, "I believe it would be more fitting if you did not allow this luxury—if you simply expelled us. There is no good of us spending more time in this school, when all we will bring is harm. We will be better off away from all of the other students—for their benefit, as well as for ours."

"That is indeed the more suitable solution to this situation," Dumbledore said quietly, "Though I assumed you had found a home here and would've liked to stay."

"I do not want to stay," Lucius said.

"Neither do I," Josie added, "There is simply no need. Expel us, Professor."

"If that is what you both wish, then that is what will happen," Dumbledore said, "Tomorrow, you will be leaving, then."

Reia was quick to protest, "No, Josie, Lucius—you can't—,"

"We can, and we will," Lucius snapped, "You're our friend. And we don't want you getting hurt."

Regulus took Reia's hand and whispered, "It's okay, Rei. Let them go."

"You'll stay, then, Mr. Black?" Dumbledore asked.

"If you will allow it."

"Of course I will."

***

After Josie and Lucius left, the next few months went quickly. Reia and Regulus both spent the Winter Break at Hogwarts, and they were two of the five students that stayed behind.

Most students had chosen to go home, due to the rising threat of the Dark Lord.

But Reia had no other place to go where she'd be happy. She didn't want to go home—she'd be lonely, because Regulus wouldn't be allowed to go with her. She couldn't go to the Potter Mansion, because Regulus also wouldn't be allowed to accompany her, and then she'd just be lonely, since she didn't really talk to the Marauders anymore, including Remus.

In a way, Hogwarts was like a safe ground—where there were both enemies and friends, but neither could attack the other.

Like a cease-fire between the two sides.

Reia liked that.

But towards the end of the week of Christmas Break, Regulus had to leave.

And so he left, and Reia was alone again.

She wondered if she'd ever have friends that wouldn't ever have to leave her—that'd always be by her side.

She wondered if she'd have friends who didn't have a side, like herself—she wondered if she was useless, if by not joining either the Death Eaters or the Order of the Phoenix, she was standing at the sidelines like a coward.

Better a coward than a Death Eater, she told herself.

She spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day alone, receiving no presents aside from a book from Remus and a bracelet from Regulus.

Maybe the others were just too busy.

What was she even doing? Reia felt like she was the only one who didn't have anything to do—who didn't have a side to fight for.

She wasn't allowed to join the Order because of her House and her friends, and she would never join the Death Eaters because she didn't support them in any way.

So where did she stand?

She stood alone. 

But at least she was standing, and not bowing down at somebody else's feet.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the short chapter, but I hope you enjoyed it anyways! Reia's feeling lonely and lost, who else just wanted to give her a hug? I know I did.

I've started working on the next chapter, and it will be longer than this one, so keep an eye out for that~

Anyway, do vote and comment to let me know your thoughts about this chapter; I'd really appreciate it!

I'd also like to wish you all a Happy New Year!

Also, check out my other stories, too, which you can find on my profile <3

Thanks so much~