LV.

Disclaimer: The Harry Potter World belongs to J.K. Rowling.

*

CHAPTER LV.

Regulus wanted to slip past the open door without being spotted, but Lucius saw him.

"Black," he snapped, and Regulus took a deep breath and took a step backwards so that he was standing in Lucius' doorway.

Lucius was tending to some of his cuts and bruises, which covered most of his pale skin, and he was wiping at some of the dried blood around his wounds with a cloth and some sort of potion, which sat beside him on the bed, in a small bowl.

"Lucius," Regulus said smoothly.

"Reia Lupin did this to me," The blonde snapped, gesturing at himself, "And I know you still spend time around her."

Regulus gave him a cold smile, "What do you want me to say to you?" He stepped into the room and put his hands in his pockets.

"I can't understand why a pureblooded wizard like you would settle for a half-blood like her," Lucius said with a little, humorless chuckle, "Your children would be the only true Black Heirs—and they would not be pureblooded."

At that, a million thoughts raced through Regulus' mind:

Did Lucius know about Ariel and Caelum? Did he know that Reia was pregnant?

What if he did?

He skillfully kept his expression smooth and unchanging.

"I do hope that you have no children with her," Lucius watched him carefully, "That would be utterly shameful."

"Then there is certainly nothing for you to worry about, Lucius," Regulus responded, his expression revealing nothing.

He turned and left the room without another word—he was going to speak to Narcissa.

Though Narcissa shared a room with Lucius, the young woman spent most of her time nowadays in Draco Malfoy's room, taking care of her son, while Lucius spent his time with the other Death Eaters, barely ever having time to spend with his family.

Regulus knew Lucius and Narcissa loved each other, but he could never spend so much time away from his own children, as Lucius did.

When he reached Draco's room, which was about twelve doors down, he raised his fist to knock on the door firmly.

He could hear the giggles of a baby inside and Narcissa's soft murmuring, and when the door opened, he gave the young woman a kind smile.

Narcissa had her blonde hair pulled up into a bun, and though she looked more tired than usual as she held her son in her arms, she still gave him a smile in return.

"Cissa," Regulus said in greeting as she let him in, "Draco."

"Regulus," Narcissa said, as she sat down on one of the chairs, pulling out another for Regulus and inviting him to sit, "What's the matter?"

"I—nothing," He changed his mind, glancing at the small baby in Narcissa's arms, immediately reminded of his own children, "I wanted to check on you, that's all."

"I'm fine," She said, her smile a little tired, "What's the real reason you came, though? Was Lucius telling you to leave Reia again?"

"H-how did you know?" Genuinely surprised, Regulus' eyes widened.

"He tells me what he tells you; ranting to me about how Reia is a filthy half-blood and how you should find a proper pureblooded wife," Narcissa shook her head, "I truly do not know why he suddenly thinks of her in such a bad light."