XXXVI.

Disclaimer: The Harry Potter World belongs to J.K. Rowling.

*

CHAPTER XXXVI.

"What have you been doing with Dumbledore?" Reia asked Regulus suddenly, attracting his attention.

They were in Reia's empty dorm room, sitting on the floor, with their old notes spread across the carpet. They were tidying up their notes from their seven years of attendance at Hogwarts. They wouldn't need them anymore, since they'd finished their N.E.W.T s, so they were reading through them and organising them into piles.

Reia had the dorm to herself now, because Josie had been expelled, Narcissa had not returned, and the two other girls whom Reia had shared a dorm with this year had left too.

Reia had not spoken to much throughout the year because when the dorm mates had first introduced themselves to each other and met, they'd made some rude remarks about Reia's blood-status, and commented that they were both superior since they were both pure-blooded, and Reia just never really talked to them again after that.

Having her dorm to herself was nice, in some ways, since she didn't have to wait for the shower or the bathroom, and she could have peace and quiet whenever she wanted.

But it was also quite lonely. Not that there was anything Reia could do about that, though.

He lifted his gaze from the book he had been reading quite intently, and said, "Nothing in particular."

"You know I'm not going to accept that as an answer, right?"

"I know you won't. But it's the only answer I will give. Mostly, we've been discussing what to do with the locket." Regulus explained, "Professor Dumbledore will destroy it. He promised me. That was basically all we talked about."

He shut his book and put it on the floor beside him.

"For hours? For the past week?" Reia crossed her arms, "I don't think that was 'basically all you talked about', Reg."

She hated Regulus hiding things from her.

Hated it.

They'd never had secrets hidden from each other. They almost always confided in each other, ever since they became best friends.

"Look, Reg, you have to trust me enough to tell me what's going on. I'm your girlfriend, and your best friend. Or perhaps I'm not anymore, to you?" Reia snapped, quite hurt.

"No, Reia," Regulus said, meeting her eyes and shaking his head, "You are most certainly still my girlfriend, and of course you're still my best friend. But...there are things I promised Dumbledore I wouldn't tell anybody, not even you. I will tell you someday, but it's not a matter that will affect you at current time if I don't tell you right now. I'm sorry, but I will not put you in danger that you don't need to be in." He brushed a piece of her dark hair out of her face and leaned closer to kiss her cheek.

Reia had to admit that maybe he had a point.

She wouldn't have wanted to break a promise made to the Headmaster of Hogwarts either, but still—

"I can take care of myself," Reia muttered, but there was a hint of some sort of acceptance of his explanation and apology in her voice.

One corner of Regulus' mouth lifted as he pulled away and said, "So...do you forgive me?"

"I do, I suppose," Reia sighed, a hint of a smile upon her lips, "But...you will tell me someday."

"I will," Regulus promised. "I've also been working on a letter to my mother. Explaining how I'm not going to follow her instructions. It was my mother's personal request and instruction, so it is easier to avoid and disobey than an order from the Dark Lord. She will probably accept my apology and excuse. Here..."

He pulled out a letter from his robe pocket and passed it to her.

Tensely, she unfolded the letter:

Dear Mother,

I am aware of the letter you sent me regarding your request. However, I am also aware that Reia Lupin is not stupid. She is extremely smart, and she will figure out my plans should I ever do something such as what you have requested of me, within the four weeks I have remaining of my Seventh Year at Hogwarts. I understand your desire for me to serve the Dark Lord well, and I promise to you that I have been doing well, and will continue to try to excel in every single thing I do.

I am sincerely apologetic of the fact that I am unable to fulfil your request. However, I hope you understand that I will not have the chance to fulfil your request successfully within four weeks.

Thank you for your understanding and care.

Sincerely,

R. A. Black

Regulus' handwriting was neat and extremely easy to read. It was beautiful, in fact—with the artistic swirls that he made in his cursive lettering, as though each letter was an artwork on its own.

"Perfect, Reg," Reia said with a nod as she folded the letter back up and handed it carefully to Regulus, "Will she be convinced, though?"

"She won't be completely convinced," Regulus said with a quiet sigh, "But she'll accept my excuses and explanations. It's her personal request. Besides, even if she isn't convinced or doesn't accept my explanation, I'm not going to hurt you."

She smiled, "I missed you, you know?"

Regulus pulled her into a hug and said, "But I never left you, Reia."

She exhaled deeply, "I'm glad."

He pulled back slightly and met her eyes. His eyes were bright when he touched her cheek gently and whispered, "Can—can I kiss you?"

"Of course you can, Reg," She murmured.

Their lips met and they shared a sweet kiss, pulling each other close.

When they pulled away, Reia and Regulus were both smiling.

"Reia...I missed you, too, you know?"

"But I never left you either, Regulus."

Author's Note:

I hope you liked that chapter, I also hope that it was cute, at least a tiny bit ;)

Also, thanks for reading, and vote and comment to let me know if you enjoyed this chapter!

Share your opinions in the comments because I'd love to hear your thoughts on the story so far~

Cya <3