Mornings Like These

Mornings like these remind me of you. The cold wind blows through my open window as I lie in bed swathed in blankets. the birds keep chirping outside as I open my eyes absorbing the early morning quiet and peace and then suddenly, I imagine you here with me, in my arms and I can't help but let out a few tears.

On mornings like these, I would wake up to feel soft hair tickling my face. My eyes would open to the sight of you in my arms, your breaths slow and soft  and God, you looked so beautiful. We would lie there in each others arms, a blanket over us with window open ever so slightly letting out sighs of cold air every so often.

Then your eyes would open and a smile would creep on your face. You would let out a husky, 'good morning' and give me a kiss. I would push you off, laughing softly and tell you that you can't kiss me until you brush your teeth. You would pout and turn over, muttering obscenities under your breath and I would hug you from behind nuzzling my face into the crook of your neck.

I would kiss your neck and reach for my phone and earphones and play Coldplay or Sam Smith. You would take an earphone and put it in and curl your arm around my shoulder. We would lie there for quite some time soaking in the warmth and the music.

Mornings used to be cold, you remember? You would get out of bed and attempt to get me out too but I wouldn't budge until you had to physically drag me out and too the bathroom. Kissing me you'd convince to to freshen up. I would roll my eyes but do so all the same.

You'd make us coffee and we would sit on the couch and drink. Both of us wearing over-sized jumpers and your arm around my shoulder, my head head on your shoulder. You'd run your fingers through my long hair and play with them. I cut them short now, you know. I couldn't have those long hair anymore. They would remind me to much of you.

Mornings like those remind me of you, Your crazy habits, your words, your beautiful eyes and God damn it all. I can't help it. I can't stop these tears flowing down my cheeks while a smile plays on my lips. Remembering you is always bittersweet. I just hope, wherever you are now, you're happy with your life. I wonder if you think about these mornings, tears slipping down your cheeks and a smile on your lips, too.

Maybe, maybe I could share these mornings with someone else? Have you ever shared them? But the thing is, it won't be the same, It'll never be the same without you. Mornings will be mornings, I suppose. They will never be like the ones I shared with you.