Chapter 2 - Grave Yard

"Once our home state of Virginia joined confederacy in 1861, it created a tremendous amount of tension within the state. People in Virginia's North-West region had different ideas than those from the traditional deep South," Mr. Tanner says. His voice is completely monotone, and I am bored to death in this class. All he ever does is talk! I turn to Matt, who happens to be sitting next to me. I smile at him, but he is to busy looking at my sister to care. I kick him under the table.

"Ow," He mutters. I raise my eyebrows at him and shake my head. He rolls his eyes in response. I looked at Mr. Tanner again as his boring lecture continues on.

"Virginia dived in 1861, with the North-West joining the union." I block him out and look at a random spot in the room. I stare at it for a while, until I see Bonnie pull out her phone, and Matt tries to look over her shoulder to read it. While Mr. Tanner has his back turned, I hit his shoulder and shake my head. He looks down at his table and ignores everything else being said.

-- 

Elena and I walk along the streets of Mystic Falls as we enter the graveyard. Elena sits on the floor, her back leaning against a statue, and I sit on a bench a few metres away from her. I pull out my diary, as does Elena. 

"Dear Diary,

Today when anyone said 'are you okay,' or 'how are you going?' I would answer with a simple, 'I'm fine' and walk away. I didn't want to dwell on it. I pretty much just shrugged off anyone who asked about it, because in all honesty, I don't even know the answer to question myself. When someone asks how you are, they really couldn't care less about your answer. They just want a sweet and short answer of 'I'm absolutely fine.'"

A crow lands on the top of my parents grave and squarks at Elena and I.

"Okay. Hi bird," she says wearily. Is she really talking to that crow? I just watch her. Will it squark at her and I some more?        

"That's not creepy or anything," I say, referring to both Elena talking to the bird, and the heavy cloud of fog that was heading towards us. Elena looks around us for a few seconds, before getting up and shoeing away the bird.   

"Go away," She cries, flicking her hand in its face. It flies away. "That's what I thought," she calls after it. When she turns around, the same crow sits next to the statue. It starts squawking even louder. Elena reaches for her bag awkwardly, bending her back, but also trying to watch the crow closely. She starts to run off in the other direction as the crow flies away.

"Elena, you're my ride home!" I yell as she scurries off towards the wood, for some reason that I am unaware of. Has she not seen all of the stories of people going into those woods and never coming back? I look at the bench again and grab my diary, along with my red and white tote bag. When I look back to the woods a tall handsome man with raven black hair is standing there, staring at me with the most gorgeous blue eyes. 

"Katherine," He mutters, looking me up and down.

"I'm sorry you must be mistaken, I'm Amara, not anyone named Katherine." I smile. He is really handsome.

"Oh I'm sorry," he says politely. "Damon." He reaches his hand out towards me. I shake it.

"Nice to meet you" I reply.

"The pleasure is mine" he says, taking back his hand.

"Are you new around town?"

"Yes, I'm here to see my brother Stefan."

"Not to be rude or anything Damon, but it's kind of creepy, you being in a grave yard." I smirk at him, obviously joking around.

"Not to be rude or anything Amara, but it's kind of creepy, you being in a grave yard," he mocks. I stifle a laugh. Wow he is really pretty. "So whats a pretty girl like you doing out here?" He smirks at me. I playfully roll my eyes.

"I'm here for me time," I say, placing a hand on my hip.

"Your here, to be by your self, in a graveyard?" He asks.

"I mean, I guess its creepy if you put it that way," I admit, scrunching my face.

"Hm." He hums, agreeing with me.

"Well, I'm not really just here for me time," I say. I walk over to my parents grave and crouch down. I push away the thorns and the bush that has grown around it. "This is my parents grave. They died just before summer break started," I tell him, my smile becoming a slight frown.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know," he says sympathetically. He comes over to me and crouch's down placing a hand on my shoulder. I look at him and smile. "You will get everything you want in life. You will forget that we met, I don't want people knowing I'm in town yet. Goodbye Amara." 

I blink my eyes for a moment.

"Amara," My sister girls out. "Amara, there you are. Come on lets go," she says, grabbing my arm. Who was that guy, and why was he telling me to forget him?

--

I'm sitting on the couch in the lounge room watching tv. Jenna is rushing around trying to find something.

"I'm meeting Bonnie at the grill." Elena says. She is wearing a black dress, and she is holding a black coat jumper.

"Is that my dress?" I ask Elena.

"Yes, and I'm borrowing it" she says. I roll my eyes at her. Bossy much. 

"Okay, have fun," Jenna says. She stops and turns around. "Wait I've got this. Don't stay out late, it's a school night," she says placing her hands on her hips. Elena and I chuckle.

"Well done Aunt Jenna," Elena says. Jenna throws her hands up in the air as she walks away. I turn my attention back to the tv. All of a sudden the door bell goes off.

"I'll get it!" Elena calls. I don't really pay attention to what is happening, but I can here Elena talking to someone at the door. The next thing I know, Elena comes back in the living room.

"Can you go talk to Stefan? He's at the door." Stefan- as in Damons brother? I pause the tv and rush to the door.

"You must be Stefan," I say. He looks confused for a second. "I'm Amara, Elena's twin," I add, reaching out my hand. He shakes politely. "I know this is weird, but do you have a brother named Damon by any chance?" I ask, trying not to sound too hopeful. He stiffens up.

"Arh yeah, why?" he gulps. 

"Can you tell him that I said thanks for what he said to me today at the grave yard?"

"At the grave yard, today?"

"Uh, yeah," I say, slightly confused. Elena comes back. 

"Sorry, were you going somewhere?" he asks Elena. I walk away- I wasn't even in that conversation anyway.

--